Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Our Favorite Things?

As you can all expect ... my favorite tying materials are Flip Flops, Raccoon Tail, bead chain and anything I can get for cheap.

My least favorite materials are anything I have to shell out large amounts of money for. If it cost more than a fast food meal, it's an expensive material. Doesn't mean I won't buy it, just much less likely.

Favorites --

Partridge

Pheasant Tail

Silk Thread

Peacock Herl

Muskrat dubbing

Hare's Ear

Mallard Wings

Wood duck flank

Non-favorites --

Some synthetic dubbing

Beads

Pre-molded legs

Printed jungle cock nail substitutes

Least favorite -- pocket lint flies! I get the proportions all wrong, lose them on the tying desk, can't get a leader through the eye on stream, pop the whispy leaders all the time, and forget about seeing a strike.. #20s are as small as I go anymore.

Rocco

Moose body hair, marabou, pheasant, and mallard flank are my favorites, I think. I'm still learning so much about different materials that my "favorites" probably change weekly.

I love ring neck pheasant rump for steelhead wets, and Hungarian partridge for trout soft hackles.

I can't stand chenille, it's the most lifeless looking material I've ever used and because of that I haven't tied with it in years.

Favorites: natural wood duck flank for bundled fiber wings, and pine squirrel zonkers.

Least favorite: Foam and super glue! I use them, but I really don't like working with them.

Raindrops on roses

And whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings

Hate epoxy... will work with about anything else; but hugely favor peacock and pearl flashabou or crystal flash whenever feasible in many patterns...

Gave up on calf hair, use Mac yarn to sub for it whenever calf is normally used. Need lots of work on spinning, packing, clipping deer hair but it is a new year with a tying resolution made.

Bucktail is my joy. Picking through a pegboard of bucktails on a shop wall and finding the two or three which are truly good, then tying with it is great. Better yet, tying with a tail from a deer which I or a friend has killed, and I took the time and effort to wash, dry, and process myself.

I don't really have any "dislikes" when it comes to materials, because over the years if I found something I didn't like I just didn't use it again- or ever use it in the first place. I tie for fun, not aggravation.

Bucktail is my joy. Picking through a pegboard of bucktails on a shop wall and finding the two or three which are truly good, then tying with it is great. Better yet, tying with a tail from a deer which I or a friend has killed, and I took the time and effort to wash, dry, and process myself.

I don't really have any "dislikes" when it comes to materials, because over the years if I found something I didn't like I just didn't use it again- or ever use it in the first place. I tie for fun, not aggravation.

Same for me too, I love buck tail. If I had to pick only one thing to tie with that would be it. I don't hunt but get a lot of tails from my nephew and you're right, there's nothing better than using buck tail that you processed yourself, probably even better if you are the one to hunt it.

If I had to pick a least favorite it would probably be squirrel tail. I use it a bit since it is a great material but the hair is slick and doesn't compress like ducktail so slips really easily if not secured just right. Ive had plenty of frustrating experiences with it. Head cement or super glue works wonders for it

Kimo ... I am not sure your using the right word.

Tertiary means "third version" or "third in order".

Did you mean terrestrial? Earth tones?