Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Trying to find a tool that splits quill barbs evenly

Haven't done quill splitting in decades & did a quick look thru a few drawers for what essentially is 2 parallel exacto blades which would open & close by means of a wheel on a threaded adjustment bolt in between a couple of pieces of tubular aluminum that held the exacto blades. After getting the wheel set at the proper separation a rubber band would hold it in position for one set of matched quills or a few dozen +.

I tape two matching quills together with masking tape and then measure them with dividers. Not ideal, but I don't do a lot of quill wing flies.

Tom Cummings: so do you take the downsized hook, insert the sharp on one side of a barb, then push it through the hook, turn it 90 degrees and pull up so as to split the wing segment? (that's the only way I can figure out how to make it work) Hope that makes sense...

SD

insert a couple of pins/needles into your xacto knife or pin vise set to the width of your wings. general rule of thumb is wings should be 2/3 the gape of the hook

O9l15FM.jpgVEzkqmo.jpg

flytire: that's an interesting way of doing it... unfortunately, I already purchased the Herter's unit, but haven't had time to try it out yet... I played around with it a bit, and must say, it doesn't seem to be that accurate (of course that could be a pilot error on my part too)... SD

flytire: I am selling the Herter's Wing Took and going to use the proceeds to purchase the xacto knife (with some $ left over :-} ); your method couldn't be more simpler, and I don't tie large (> 12) anyway, so it will work perfectly... thanks for showing me... great idea!

SD

flytire: already sold to him; ready to be shipped this am... as already stated above, I'm going to use your Xacto blade handle approach...