Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
IsaacH

Spun Bodies

I've been trying to tie some size 16 Adams Irresistibles using Elk hair. My bodies are coming out messy and full of gaps. I notice most videos I find use deer hair. Does it make that big a difference or is it just my inexperience/incompetence?

For flies that size, I use whatever is on hand. Usually Elk. Just make sure to pack it tightly and trim using a razor blade and not scissors. Also don't over trim it like me and cut the thread. You'll watch it all unravel haha

Hi IsaacH,

Here are three body only flies that I just tied up very fast and cut the upper part with a pair of scissors. They are all on Mustad 94840 size 16 hooks. I used black Uni 6/0 thread for all three. The top one is sparkle dun elk, the middle is elk hock, and the bottom one is bleached elk body hair which was the longest and more fat in hair diameter. It's just to show that about any elk hair will work. You just have to spin smaller sized bundles and pack the hair more gently so you don't bend the hook shank. I tried to include the actual patches of hair that I used, but you wouldn't be able to see the fly bodies that well from further away.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-20655400-1517611655_thumb.jpg

David Mcphail does this fly on utube using the more common deer hair body. I like how he protects the tail while working on the body although not sure why he doesn’t leave the protective tape on a bit longer.

I only spin bigger bugs, but one thing that used to be a problem for me was that I was trapping hairs when advancing the thread forward to the next tie in point for a new clump. It did not seem like a problem until I trimmed close enough to the body, and there was a gap.

That and making sure you pack it tight.

eliminate the gaps by packing the hair as tight as you can.

see the examples from the internet shown below

8HTceFX.jpg

Newbie question and an apology in advance for the hijack. I have on several occasions broke my thread while spinning (using UTC140). What thread do you guys recommend or is it just me using excessive tension?

I haven't used spun hair a lot, it seemed a big hassle: but, I see on the video tubes a thing that would have made it a lot easier to learn; After cleaning all the fuzz from the butt ends of the hair these guys are cutting off all the tips and using just the butt half, that means a much smaller gob to spin (allowing you to see the work better) and less mess to work the thread through to advance it (fewer hair tied down by accident) The book or magazine article that I read long ago had me using the hair full length, tips and all, as easy as it looks in the vids maybe I'll try some more in future.

I think that when I first attempted spun hair that I used too large a pinch, too. Using a smaller clump and packing more frequently while making fewer turns to advance the thread seemed to help me.

Hookedon, I believe you are just pulling either too hard or too fast. Try just tying thread to hook and pulling til it breaks to teach yourself that tension and try making the pull down of the loose turns rather slowly. I used to use a heavy thread (again from my learning source, what ever it was) for the spinning part but I see others using the regular tying threads.

I first used UNI Big Fly, then Kevlar, Danville Flat waxed nylon and finally settled for GSP. All for big bugs though.

No matter how strong the thread you still need to get a feel for it. If you just crank down on it you may bend hooks if not breaking threads.

Very topical topic. I've been working on Irresistables and Goddard caddis in size 16 to start. When I switched from elk to mulie body hair for spinning the results got immediately better. The mulie body hair flares much more easily and in more of a fan pattern. Make sure to comb all the underfur out from the hair fibers. I then went from UNI 8/0 to Danville 3/0. I don't think the thread is much heavier but it sure can take more tension to help spin the hair. I agree with Bimini15 it takes feel to not break the thread or cut the hair. The other thing I've been doing is take maye two wraps of thread through the hair, wiggling it to not trap any errant hairs. Then I preen the hair back advance the thread to the front of the clump and tie in the next clump tight to the end of the first. That procedure has been working the best for me. I have a couple of pictures up in the Feb. Bench. I'll try to get some here. As an aside spinning and trimming is a messy job.

Bluegill tend to inhale hard and clamp down tight. They're schooling fish, so they are constantly fighting with other fish for food items.

They learn, at an early age, to hold tight to keep others from getting their food.

So, those hooks will do just fine, vicente.

That's a good looking bug, too.

Newbie question and an apology in advance for the hijack. I have on several occasions broke my thread while spinning (using UTC140). What thread do you guys recommend or is it just me using excessive tension?

To spin it right you need to pull it tight.. Heavy thread is a must. I use Kevlar for bigger bugs. For a size 16, use heavier thread than you normally would, maybe 3/0?

Plus, watch out you don't catch the thread on the hook point as you wrap..