Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
IsaacH

Spun Bodies

I just went to a class on tying with deer hair last Saturday. I've tied with deer hair before but it's just too messy to do at home. Still I'll probably use up what deer I have left tying some bass bugs. I don't usually do small stuff. I've done a couple of bombers. I was using Big Fly thread, but the instructor and most of the class was using 210 denier thread. Other than the first batch of hair we tied in the tips were cut off. The one new thing I did learn was how to stack the deer hair to get a multi-color body, for example, a green back with white belly and black spots or stripes. It was well worth the trip down the shore to attend. If I were going to tie smaller flies, I think I would experiment with the longer hair from a deer's mask. I have one that I use for the wings on my CDC and Elk and it flares enough that I should be able to spin it.

Mulie body hair, uni 8/0, size 16 standard dry fly hook.

Philly tell us more about the stacking thing please

post-61480-0-80964600-1519145267_thumb.jpg

I just went to a class on tying with deer hair last Saturday. I've tied with deer hair before but it's just too messy to do at home. Still I'll probably use up what deer I have left tying some bass bugs. I don't usually do small stuff. I've done a couple of bombers. I was using Big Fly thread, but the instructor and most of the class was using 210 denier thread. Other than the first batch of hair we tied in the tips were cut off. The one new thing I did learn was how to stack the deer hair to get a multi-color body, for example, a green back with white belly and black spots or stripes. It was well worth the trip down the shore to attend. If I were going to tie smaller flies, I think I would experiment with the longer hair from a deer's mask. I have one that I use for the wings on my CDC and Elk and it flares enough that I should be able to spin it.

A Dust Buster by your bench is your friend and will keep u out of trouble.

I've tied with deer hair before but it's just too messy to do at home.

I tie some up inside ... take them outside to trim them. happy.png No mess at the bench!

True, Mike. I could to a first trim outside, weather permitting but I don't want to be holding the fly in my hand when I do the final trim with a half of a double edge razor. Mogup, I think I actually have a Dust Buster in my tying room. I'll have to charge it. What I normally use to clean up is a lint roller it picks up the bits pretty well. Let me see if I can organize my thoughts on stacking. I get back later.

I gathered my thoughts, sorta like herding cats, and then checked out a Pat Cohen video to see how he stacked deer hair. The style was similar but not the same. Here's what the instructor told us

1. Place the light colored hair on the bottom of the hook shank.

2. Make a couple of loose wraps around the hair.

3. Make a third wrap, tighten and spin the deer hair

4. Make a couple of tight wraps to hold it in place, and let the bobbin hang down in place.

5. Do not compact the deer hair.

6. Use your finger to push the deer hair on top of the hook shank down and to the side

7. Take a darker color bunch of deer hair and lay it on the top of the hook

8. Hold it in place with your hand/finger and make a couple loose wraps

9. While keeping pressure on the deer hair with your finger make a tighter wrap to flare the deer hair.

10. Add a couple of more wraps to hold in place

11. Bring the thread forward make a wrap or two, then compact the deer hair.

12. Repeat the process.

Hope that makes sense.

I gathered my thoughts, sorta like herding cats, and then checked out a Pat Cohen video to see how he stacked deer hair. The style was similar but not the same. Here's what the instructor told us

1. Place the light colored hair on the bottom of the hook shank.

2. Make a couple of loose wraps around the hair.

3. Make a third wrap, tighten and spin the deer hair

4. Make a couple of tight wraps to hold it in place, and let the bobbin hang down in place.

5. Do not compact the deer hair.

6. Use your finger to push the deer hair on top of the hook shank down and to the side

7. Take a darker color bunch of deer hair and lay it on the top of the hook

8. Hold it in place with your hand/finger and make a couple loose wraps

9. While keeping pressure on the deer hair with your finger make a tighter wrap to flare the deer hair.

10. Add a couple of more wraps to hold in place

11. Bring the thread forward make a wrap or two, then compact the deer hair.

12. Repeat the process.

Hope that makes sense.

Makes sense. Thanks

For smaller spun hair flies, try Carabou. Also, try GSP thread (available in 50 denier for those small flies). Super strong; you can really haul down with it.

Thanks, Bob H