Fly Tying
Troutslayer101

Magnifing Glasses or Lamp

I'm not sure except they are probably a higher magnification than readers and they flip up out of the way pretty easily when you don't use them. I have been using them so long that I don't think about them anymore. They are just what I wear when I tie.

From a biological standpoint, why do older folks need reading glasses? Why can kids focus on objects that are 5 inches in front of them and we seniors don't have arms long enough for use to be able to read a menu without reading glasses?

The reason is that we lose visual accommodation over time. The closer we can get to an object and focus on it, that larger the object looks to us. So as we get older, we need to move the object (flies) farther away to focus on them, and they look smaller. That is why we all eventually need magnification (reading glasses). They don't actually magnify objects. The allow us to focus on closer objects, and because the object are closer, they look bigger!

That is point 1.

Ever wonder why restaurant menus are harder for us to read in dim "romantic lighting." That reason is Point 2 = we need brighter lights. In the days before autofocus and auto exposure cameras, we had to set the F-stop and the exposure time. Our eyes are the biological equivalent of cameras and the same optical laws that apply to a picture cameral apply to our eyes. Our eyes have F-stops (pupil size) and exposure time but they are set automatically. Our eyes open the pupils to let in more light (lower F-stop) or close the pupils (higher F-stop) to let in less light to normalize the light reaching our retinas (the film)

The higher the F-stop, the smaller the lens (pupil) opening and the lower the % of light that exposes the film (retina). However, the higher the F-stop, the larger the depth of field. So a larger F-stop = a smaller lens opening = a larger % of the field is in focus. The more constricted our pupils, the closer we can get to the fly because our eyes have a larger depth of field. That is why bright lights allow us to see the fly better. Brighter lights constrict our pupils so we can get closer to the flies and still keep them in focus. Because the flies are closer, they look bigger. For the same reason, brighter lights allow us to read small print better because we can focus closer even without reading glasses.

https://digital-photography-school.com/understanding-depth-field-beginners/

So bright lights and reading glasses is all about allowing us to focus on the flies when they are closer to us.

Silver ... usually, I agree with your long winded explanations for fly fishing and medical things.

But the above information, while based on truth, is long winded for no reason.

We have a harder time seeing when we get older because our eyes don't work as well. We lose "elasticity" and stiffen up, even in the lenses of our eyes.

Simple as that ... getting old sucks.

Sometimes I'm happy not to see so clearly any more...

Maybe ... but usually not !!! wink.png

The problem with this, Chug, is I've seen to many ugly things in my life. dry.png

If I can't see things clearly, my mind fills in the detail ... and the results aren't always pretty !!! ohmy.png

... getting old sucks.

Harsh truth.

Drug store half readers allow me to look over them for stuff on the table and look through them for tying. Same effect as bifocal but much cheaper and I can have the half readers in varying strengths depending on how tired my eyes are at that time.

@ shoebop any advantage over readers?

I already wear glasses, so using readers for more magnification wouldn't work well. My headband set has two lenses that can flip down for high and low power. Very comfortable.

In my younger days I wore glasses then had RK surgery and my vision was 20/20 for several years. But you can't stop aging. I have been known to put on 3x readers, wear my fishing hat with flip focals and use my magnifying desk lamp all at the same time tying anything under a 24.

Now that I am back to wearing glasses and bi-focals at that it has been awhile since I have tied smaller than a size 18.

Like Mike said, getting old sucks.

I just picked up a new headband magnifier,and it works great.

A96-Free-Shipping-Headband-LED-Lamp-Ligh

Ralphs007 that visor has a light built in? And what's in the box, multiple different lenses? Can you post the brand name or link to where sold?

yes has built in LED light and those are changeable lenses.

I received one similar as a gift and find it very useful.

don't care much for the light (the one I have detaches thankfully, it add weight).

google Carlson magnivisor deluxe,

reviews are good, must be careful when changing lens, can break plastic clip.

about 30 bucks.

I am sure there are better ones, but I am happy with mine so far.

good luck and tight lines