Fly Tying

I love his products and the service/advice. I am hoping he will come out with a longer version of select craft fur. Use the various dubbings with legs for leeches/dragons/wooly buggers that are quicker to tie than using dubbung loops.

where on his page does he sell craft fur

He doesn’t. I think it is just wishful thinking.

By the way, I thought you had a website, other than FB. Do you still?

FTD's frog & big bopper dubbing are the jam. Stack/ sculpt as you would w/ deer hair for poppers, divers, etc... Floats well with or w/o gink. Killer material...

I received my last pkg within 3 days of ordering AND I live on the east coast. All of his stuff is great, ESP. for the price...

post-62367-0-44573000-1530819896_thumb.jpg

post-62367-0-44649200-1530819905_thumb.jpg

post-62367-0-47083000-1530819918_thumb.jpg

post-62367-0-80807600-1530819925_thumb.jpg

post-62367-0-47502600-1530819933_thumb.jpg

FTD is a great place to get any dubbing or synthetic hair or other items from his expanding selection of fly tying materials. I have always received my orders quickly and correctly. Prices are the best in the business. There are several boxed selections that would be an excellent introduction to the various product lines.

( No connection just a satisfied customer)

I have been watching a bunch of Kelly Galloup videos and saw his recent Nappy Sculpin video. He used ram's wool for essentially the entire fly. I have seen the Mad Scientist make some pretty cool shaped heads and bodies by "stacking" his dubbing. Have you guys used FTD products for this type of application? Were you happy with the performance? The mottled and mixed dubbing FTD has looks pretty cool and obviously at a great price. I am hoping this would be a cheap and effective alternative to buying ram's wool and fun to experiment with. 

Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I got one of his fly tyers boxes,  tons and tons of great stuff.    Its worth trying that material and if you really like it he will sell you bulk dubbing for a good price.   I have not used enough of it to need another order,  i love the enhanced kracken and the bull frog dubbings.  Never mind congo hair, definitely plan on ordering more when i run low

Count me as a big FTD fan too.  Love the kracken dubbings, Starburst (his version of ice dub mix) , Eyes, pearl and silver flash, Parachute post material, Scud back, fish joints, and congo hair for streamers.  I love it all!

The congo hair makes some killer crappie jigs for the spinning rod too - I like then in 1/64 oz especially.  Start with an inner core of flash then cover the bottom of the jig sparsely with "minnow belly" congo hair - I then cover the top with "poseidon blue" congo tied in sparse - add some pearl eyes and bam winner winnre crappie dinner!! The congo hair forms a veil around the flash when wet that looks exactly like a minnow. I popped a score of crappie and white bass last week on that jig style.  Another two colors of Congo hair for for the top of my jigs - hot neon pink - and hot neon chartruce.  But this spring blue over white has been the bomb. THe color combinations are endless. This past October pink over chatruce was #1 for a few weeks - grey and olive is another nice combo when the first frosty mornings arrived.

The inner core I mentioned above is made with Starburst and/or H20 flash.

So yes FTD is a great place for the fly tier for selection, quality, and value.

Take care

Thank you for the responses. I went ahead and put in an order with FTD today. I asked the Mad Scientist what he would recommend for what I was looking to tie and he pointed me towards the Warmwater gift box, so I got that, along with two colors of the big game - clyde dubbing for some longer fibers. I'm pretty excited! Now hopefully my tying skills are up to snuff (probably not). I'll plan to post some pictures once I tie a couple flies with the FTD materials.  

I agree with the posts on here.  Just getting started with their stuff, but I like it.  I like their eyes, too

I did see somewhere guys said the dubbing doesn't have the same volume as ram's wool when tied in, so might have to play around with it to get the effect I'm looking for. Even if it isnt quite what I was looking for hard to beat his prices. I'm thinking if I brush out the dubbing and get the fibers aligned that will help. I'll mostly be tying trout and smallmouth streamers, so not looking for huge volume anyway. 

I got my package from FTD three days after placing the order. Great service and speed of delivery! Like many have already said, lots of material for your money. The mottled look of the mixed Congo hair is pretty cool. For the money, hard to go wrong with the fish shanks, but they are razor sharp and took some creativity to get them how I wanted. If you're a big time articulated fly guy, I think there are better shanks, but for the money I can tolerate some finagling. The connecting wire has its pros and cons. Its stiffness I think well help prevent the trailing shank from fowling, but the stiffness makes it a little harder to work with. It also seems like it could be slippery to tie in, but without a hook on the trailing shank there shouldn't be much force on it anyway. The dubbing is really cool, but with the mixed in rubber legs varieties, it can be challenging to spin a dubbing noodle onto your thread. Probably why the Mad Scientist mostly "hanks" it on in his videos.

The materials also give things a really scuzzy look which is great for what I'm going for. Flash is awesome! I really like the mixed in flash. Overall, you get a lot for your money. The color combinations leave the possibilities up to anything you can imagine. Great value, especially for streamer and warm water patterns.