Fly Tying

I still have a good amount of polar (from the old days when someone would buy a ratty old polar bear rug -then cut it up into trimmings to sell to crazy fly tiers -back when it couldn't be imported. All of mine is old and yellowed with age - but still useful. Back when I tied commercially I very carefully never used any polar at all (not wanting the possible attention from rabid enviros...). Nowadays the stuff can be legally purchased again - but it's a bit pricey for me. I have started using some of my supply since it's just going to waste siting in a drawer with pounds of deer hair pieces and other remnants. One of the surprising things about polar hair is its resistance to toothy critter attacks. A single pass from a small barracuda or mackeral will shred bucktail - but the polar hair will survive almost every time....

Just listened to the latest Orvis podcast and pink is the go to color for Texsan river largemouth bass. With the inspiration on here I've placed my "pink" order. Everything you can think of, you can also get in pink. I'm going to ty some clousers , electric chickens etc. and take another run at Florida at the end of March.

Sounds expensive... :D

I already admitted to having too many materials in pink myself, but just a pink bucktail, strung hackle pack and some flash/synthetic hair can go a long way for most people.

Sounds expensive... biggrin.png

I already admitted to having too many materials in pink myself, but just a pink bucktail, strung hackle pack and some flash/synthetic hair can go a long way for most people.

I can rationalize it, if I make good use of the flies I ty. Here's the killer for me. The last trip I tied up a dozen patterns and only fished with one. At the bench, I was positive, I would need all of them.

Sounds like you have it covered, but, in case anyone needs some more rationalizing, I look at the hobby as inexpensive therapy. Much cheaper than a shrink.

As far as tying more than what you need or use... I will take the fifth, your honor.

I need to remember to order done more pink on my next go round with fly tyers dungeon, also some more white sea dragon dubbing.

Very nice. How does the mono thread grip bucktail? I would imagine not too well but I am not the most educated on this subject...