Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brewer

hackle pliers

im needing a good set of hackle pliers, right now i have 2, one of them came with the vise (its crap), and the other i bought from the local fly shop (its crap also), any and all input will be appreciated, thanks.

Mike

I just make my own out of coat hanger wire.

user posted image

Ken cool.gif

I've got two pair that I rely on, both made by Dr. Slick. One is kind of good size loop made of black spring steel with a brass piece on one side of the jaw and rubber on the other. It does a pretty nice job with most hackle. Doesn't slip much, called Duplex Jaw pliers. The other pair is a smaller pair is what they refer to as Rotary Hackle Pliers. They're VERY nice to use when tying parachutes.

user posted imageThese are the ones I use, both the head&handle rotate on them. I believe they are doc slicks if I remember correctly and they were around $12.

mr slicks it is then, it drives me mental when ya reach the eye, and it all unwinds, thanks guys

Hey Ken (Fly1),

Show the coat hanger style. I lost mine and you may have the answer cool.gif .

I must have a dozen pair of hackle pliars and none of them hold a hackle for didily squat. I recently purchased a pair of c&f design hackle pliars, they are better than sliced white bread. I have yet to get them to slip even on the smallest hackle, a lot of thought went into the design of these. the bad part is the price, i paid aprox 35 for mine(USA $). Well worth the price, but maby a bit steep for others. But at least i have one less thing to rant about when tying.

QUOTE (troutscout @ Mar 4 2005, 09:32 PM)
rewrapping the hackle a few times gives you a chance to practice your french!

i never knew french till i started tying !

I have been using a surgical clamp for years holds great,the only time I speak french is when the material breaks.they rarely if ever slip.

Yup thats them, I have a couple different pair and cant remember which is which biggrin.gif

even with a few pair I still manage to lose them somehow laugh.gif

Sign in to follow this