Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

looking for user reviews (vest vs. sling pack)

I had a old Orvis vest that held everything and had everything in it, left it on the riverbank while loading my canoe and drove off (good memory just short). I replaced it with a Fishpond pack/vest it is comfortable and carries everything I want for a full days travel and fishing on remote rivers and fishing holes, including the dog and her lunch and water also. Also purchased a sling pack to fish in the canoe and kayak, I wear a PFD and do not wear a vest. I like having both I do not wear the sling it is usually leashed to the boat. I do not think a sling pack could replace my vest/pack for walking and wading, and would not want to keep the pack/vest in the boat.

It's neither of your choices but I've been using a Fishpond Wasatch for the last few years and I really like it. It hold's plenty of stuff, in fact it holds more than enough stuff. For me it's imperative that I can fit a lightweight rain shell in my vest/pack. Just in case

I have gone from a vest to an Umpqua Zero Sweep Steamboat sling. It is easier to put on and is not in the way on the sides when casting. It has a huge capacity and quite a few pockets, with a few places to hang tools from. You can take it off and fish with it near you making less stress on your neck and back. Plenty of box storage space too.

Well, as I suspected I would do from the beginning, I had my fly shop of choice order me a Vedavoo Beast in olive. I will be picking it up next weekend, and, weather permitting, will be breaking it in with a little fishing on either the Au Sable or the Manistee River that same day. I feel pretty confident that I got the best pack for me, but time will tell. :)

It looks like a very nice pack, if you ever want a smaller one I recommend the Patagonia atom, I've been very happy with mine so far, let us know how you like it.