Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Does anybody have, and use, a Herter's Professional Wing Maker?

I found a Herter's Prof Wing Maker on eBay last week; all the parts are there (combs and base) and I tested it on some cheap turkey wings. The instructions are not that clear, and I found only one (1) tutorial on YouTube, which wasn't of much help either.

My problem/question is: after you set the wing proper on the base, and then push the comb into the wing, do you pull the wing away from the comb before removing the comb, thereby effectively separating each of the new wings? That is the only way I can see making this work...

Any ideas, or am I using it correctly?

SD

If I remember correctly I thought my buddy put a small dab of cement at the base, let it dry completely, removed the comb, then cut off each individual wing seperately as req'd. That was some 40 years or so ago, and unfortunately he has passed so can't even ask and my memory might not be the best anymore. Seem to remember he was using it on matched mallard primarys for classic wet flies. Hope this helps.

Doug

This link has the best explanation for using the wing combs that I've seen:

http://lvlimestoner.blogspot.com/2012/12/your-granddads-weird-shit-thompson-wing.html

I have the Herter's set with the cast base. The other Herter's bases I've seen do not look like mine. The one I have looks more like the Thompson except it's double-sided, if you can feature that. Likely so you can prepare two feathers (for right/left wing sets) at the same time as long as you have a double set of combs for various hooks sizes. It's a monsterous thing.

^^^From a previous thread here's a link to using the Thompson tool, think the difference is the Herters lets you do both side feathers at once.

They came with cement and thinner to coat the feather so the slips stayed together.

Picture of a prepped feather here: http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/525634-herters-wing-maker/

If you have 2 sets of combs you came make left & right @ the same time if not then i side @ a time.

place base on working surface, flat side up (combs insert in end slots)

place wing quill flat on end ,insert points of comb thru wing @ the sweet spot just before the wing feather barbs start to thin adjust feather for wing length

gently push comb thru wing quill, do not push hard the weight of the comb is usually good, make any final adjustments so the wings look the same then apply cement to quill @ bunched point caused by comb, and let it dry

I have one around here someplace but do not use it anymore, if it where me I would use flexcement, thinned goop, or thinned fusion. packing tape on the flat base under the wing make clean up easy and stops the aluminum from discoloring white wing feathers

In the YouTube video I saw, the demonstrator first sprays the wing with Fixatif and from that point on, the base is out of sight of the camera until he's finished pushing the comb through the wing barbs. However, that doesn't separate the complete wing barbs from each other... that's why I was wondering if you pull the wing out from the comb, while the comb can further separate the barbs so that they are individually connected to the quill... (sure hope that makes sense).

This is what I tried to do today, but the wing was a cheap-o that had a curved quill, so it didn't exactly work correctly... or at least the way I thought it should.

SD

No do not pull the wing thru the comb, the comb only gives you a equal separation of barbs and then a pinch point to cement. You could use Fixatif or cement and let the wing dry. After it is dry remove the comb and you can cut the wings from the quill.as needed. that why most people bought the second set of combs so they could make left and right quills of the same size at the same time. you will have to play with it to get the wings the way you want them you might want to get a pair of duck wings to play with it.

I always thought that you did both quills at the same time. That way all one had to do is clip and tie them in. Here's a set that I just did with mallard quills. It's clipped and tied on a size 10 hook. I have a Thompsons though.

post-12032-0-29682400-1519507058_thumb.jpg

These are from an ebay auction several years ago that I just saved the pics from. You can see they are wing sets, not individual lefts and rights.

post-12032-0-04301000-1519507203_thumb.jpg post-12032-0-76377900-1519507244_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Mark

How can you do a left and right quill at the same time? do you stack one side on top of the other? stem to stem?

mvendon: using the Herter's tool, you have to have 2 of the same size combs... which I don't have...yet!

flytire: no, you have to have 2 combs of the same size, and cut them one at a time; the only thing that makes you able to do two at the same time (still not cutting at the same time) is setting them up so they are cutting the exact same place on both quills.

SD

How can you do a left and right quill at the same time? do you stack one side on top of the other? stem to stem?

Hi Norm,

You just put one on top of the other concave up to concave down. You want both quills to be pretty close in width and where the strong dull area line meets the not so strong glossy area. I lined up the outer edges pretty close and then clamped the wire down. Then just run the glue over it and stick the comb down through. I really haven't played around with it all that much. If you look at the lower right hand pic that has dark mallard written on it, you can see both quills. Whoever that was, they used a ton of glue on those! Like I wrote before, I have a Thompson, so it's set up a little different than a Herters. I used the medium sized comb for the size 10 hook.

Yes you can stack the quills but gluing can get heavy to penetrate the bottom quill. Never used a Thompson and I understand they are a little different and the original that Herters copied with a change- combs slide into end slots on base. I have not used it in a long time, just don't tie as many quill wings anymore a few dozen black gnats and a few wets here and there.

On the video I watched, the guy was using Fixatif, so that's what I went with... Have 2 Teal wings that I'm going to try (again) this coming week, one at a time using a careful measurement!

SD

Sounds like you are using it correctly, as I have a Herter's one that I use occasionally (it's in the video below around 3:00 mark). I also have some instructions that I can share that Jim Krul emailed me...very cool! They are included as an attachment, and I hope you're able to see them.

When using, I will separate the wings, then either spray or add a brushable head cement (basically like the directions recommend). It's a pain to clean off of the tool, but they look much better (not to the fish, just to me!).

Tim

post-46572-0-25762800-1519611539_thumb.jpg

tctrout: I can't tell you how many of your videos I have watched and learned from in the past 2 years! So nice to kinda-sorta meet you!

A little background: I'm 75 years old, retired from being involved with computer programming in one way or another for 45 years. Two years ago my wife gave me her very old fly tying vise and a class to learn the basics of fly tying. I was hooked! So I tied many (maybe 50?) flies, not knowing what was what. Last year I stumbled onto Gary LaFontaine's Caddisflies book, and have been hooked on tying nothing but variations of Caddis flies since then. Can't wait for the season to open here in Spokane, WA on June 1st to try some of the flies I tied this winter. I use all natural materials as much as possible in my flies; if a pattern calls for foam or plastic wings, I pass it by. I'm a big fan of Antron, which I learned from Gary's excellent research into trout feeding.

Thank you for responding to my question regarding the Herter's Wing Maker; your attachment is the instructions that came with the tool, which I was lucky enough to find on eBay in fairly good shape with four combs which were not in very good shape. But the Herter's tool is very hard to come by these days, so I'm looking for combs now that are not damaged. And thanks for the video... I was wondering exactly how to tie the wings in!

Keep up the great tutorials... a lot of folks like me learn from tiers like you...

Best Wishes, Spokane Dude (Rolf Marsh)