Fly Tying
Mike West

April Fools Warm Water Swap...

Thanks Mike

I have been admiring your flies for years and am excited to having won it. I hope to be able to report my results with it later in the summer. Right now it's snowing again, so it's going to be a while.

Thanks also to fshng2 for choosing 7 and forcing me to pick 5.

Thanks for hosting a great swap.

Tom

I have a couple of the flies Mike has tied for me just out of the goodness of his heart and they are things of beauty I'm afraid to fish. He even told me to fish them, that's what they're for but I think they look so good and inspirational hanging in front of me on the tying bench I'm not going to let some old bass or catfish chew them up. At least down here in OK we don't have them snaggle toothed monster Pike and Musky which not only ruin a fly if you get it back but if you're fishing without 6" of wire leader they just take the whole fly with them.

Pretty sweet bunch of flies!

Thanks Mike for the great job taking the pictures and for hosting.

Stellar tying everyone!

Congrats on the fly MuskyFlyGuy.

Great flies everyone! Mike, thanks for hosting! Looking forward to seeing which set arrives in my mailbox!

1st post is updated with who got who’s flies

Somebody got shorted a little spider that Ekucolonel17 sent as extras and someone got two. No big deal I made up for it with my extras.

Also I had these things all screwed up and had it re-open about half the packages so don’t freak out when you find your package is all taped up.

I’ll post my box here in a little bit

Sweet!can't wait to see in person!

OK so this was an April Fools swap right?

Thanks for all flies suckers!

Ill let you know how they worked out for me.

😲😎

Ha Ha Ha......didn't see that coming.....good one Mike!

Nice flies you've tied.

Got a name for the 2nd one down in the top right corner..."Giddy-Up". borrowed name from https://media.giphy.com/media/aMh59aKR8vjdC/giphy.gif

Looks a little like a sawed off Don Musso Super Strike LittleNeck Popper.

I bet it bucks like a wild stallion and may need to build in some tail drag/articulation to tame it.

That's funny MIke but as often as I've done swaps and somehow muddles through a swap like yours but with 30 people at Christmas I always end up recounting flies or cutting open packages I thought were finished and double checking and correcting if necessary.

Oh my gosh...I get the flies of the Swapmeister!!! Now I'll find out if I took all my jabbing him serious or with a good laugh.

Hazathor, the sculpin head flies are kind of an idea that came into my head when doing some Mrs. Simpson's for a different swap. All layered feathers are from a golden pheasant including tail. I'm hoping riding hook up it will do a good job as a sculpin. I threw some last year on the White but nothing except one hard pull and gone. Browns I did catch were on eggs or nymphs but I'm still looking for that hook jawed old monster on a bottom dragger like these yet.

zip those little clouser life flys catch a lot of fish for me, the spun diver with a fly lip also works really well. The line between the gurgler and balanced leech is 12lb.

zip those little clouser life flys catch a lot of fish for me, the spun diver with a fly lip also works really well. The line between the gurgler and balanced leech is 12lb.

Cant wait to fish them!Your flies always do well for me here

Ha Ha Ha......didn't see that coming.....good one Mike!

Nice flies you've tied.

Got a name for the 2nd one down in the top right corner..."Giddy-Up". borrowed name from https://media.giphy.com/media/aMh59aKR8vjdC/giphy.gif

Looks a little like a sawed off Don Musso Super Strike LittleNeck Popper.

I bet it bucks like a wild stallion and may need to build in some tail drag/articulation to tame it.

That’s a Gains Frog popper..Kind of expensive for what you get it’s like eight bucks for three I think.

It’s a popper in the raw(U Finish It)...recepient finishes it. Slap some Cohen legs on the back.

Mike,

The flies arrived today and they could not have come at a better time. Lake Minnetonka still has 28" of ice on it and we are expecting over the next two days: rain, sleet, and an accumulation of snow. Thanks for running a great swap and the extra flies and materials. All are appreciated. Like Vicrider said, your deer hair flies might be hanging on my desk to be used as tying goals for the summer. Thanks to EKucolonel17 for the foam panfish fly and Rich Mc for his collection of panfish and bass flies. Rich, they look great and will fill some gaps that I have in my panfish and bass boxes. In my mailer, there was also the listing for the flies tied by EKucolonel17 If the recipient of his flies wants the names of the flies, PM me and I will get the names to you. Have an outstanding fishing season!

Tom