Fly Tying
AK Skim

Synthetic Quill Body Wrap

Hi AK,

I have used this stuff. Its real easy to work with and wraps easily for a nice looking body. I use UV resin to secure it and give it a nice shine. I havent had much luck on the water with these quill yet.

Here is lt cahill I tied up as an example.

GP

post-60412-0-12773000-1520135244_thumb.jpeg

Hi AK,

I have used this stuff. Its real easy to work with and wraps easily for a nice looking body. I use UV resin to secure it and give it a nice shine. I havent had much luck on the water with these quill yet.

Here is lt cahill I tied up as an example.

GP

GP you are the man...

To sound (stupid) I did try to "pick" the so called quill off the backing material.

Your photo just might have saved me.

Hopefully no one else looks at this thread...

AK,

I have used them and agree with GP, they are easy to work with. Some companies sell the “quills” that are tapered, which I prefer. The problem I have with them is their colors. To me, they are not natural looking.

Joe

Cannot stand the stuff myself. Too fragile to stand on its own, so it has to be coated with something (UV acrylic seems to be most popular) and because it is porous, you have to use quite a bit of an overcoat to protect it. Thick and inconsistent in barring, with minimal advantage over traditional biots, quills, or just thread with a rib. Tried it because of all the hay it was getting on the forums, but really not worth the effort IMNSHO.

you bought them for whatever reason only known to yourself so my suggestion is to try it for yourself and then make the conclusion if its worth it for the flies you want to tie.

for durability, swipe the thread under body with crazy glue and wrap it forward. uv resin is not really required but add it if you want

I'm thinking the synthetic might take a marker well so you could color the top side darker for a stonefly body... Could also make a burrowing mayfly body by weaving peacock or ostrich in between the quill wraps for gills along each side. Would be easier to do both of these with synthetic, I'd think... But yeah, nothing beats a peacock quill, died or natural, for that segmentation look...

I like them well enough. As someone mentioned previously about wrapping over glue, I always wrap all quills, turkey, peacock or synthetic over a base of super glue. I color a white thread base with a marker and wrap over for a counter-shaded look.

SytheticQuillGreenDrake2018.jpg

post-30361-0-20332600-1520937098_thumb.jpgpost-30361-0-75027200-1520937141_thumb.jpgpost-30361-0-27289900-1520937187_thumb.jpgAK they work excellent for nymph bodies. if you make the body taper with thread or lead then wrap over it they make some sweet slim body mayfly nymphs. I put a very lite coat of Loon flow UV epoxy over the quill to protect it. Up until now I have always used turkey biot or striped quills for bodies on these flies. i like the simplicity of the synthetic quill not prep work.

attachicon.gifIMG_0997.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0998.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0972.jpgAK they work excellent for nymph bodies. if you make the body taper with thread or lead then wrap over it they make some sweet slim body mayfly nymphs. I put a very lite coat of Loon flow UV epoxy over the quill to protect it. Up until now I have always used turkey biot or striped quills for bodies on these flies. i like the simplicity of the synthetic quill not prep work.

Thank you !