Fly Tying
StoneFlyTyer

Any woodturners on here

Beautiful work! I have a lathe and would love to learn to use it, but I've spent the last few years learning basic-to-intermediate woodworking. Turning is next! I'd love to do the pen barrels like in your pics, also reel seat inserts for fly rods.

Love the lidded bowl. Looks like a Maple burl? Great contrast on the finial, looks like walnut?

I too enjoy turning. I find it a great artistic release for me. My wife seems to prefer I make a mess in my work shop rather than fly tying stuff all over the house. funny how that works.

A couple of travel mugs I have done along with a wine glass.

First mug is Norway Pine end grain with Walnut veneer for the crosses. The second is Apple wood from a tree across the street. The wine glass is Maple with Purple Heart veneer. This was fun. It was my first success doing this style of turning. The Heart shape on the stem is also done on the lathe.

Michael

post-46603-0-31802900-1521147336_thumb.jpg

post-46603-0-00938200-1521147415_thumb.jpg

post-46603-0-59762100-1521149514_thumb.jpg

Mike,

That wine goblet is very cool! All I turn on my tiny hobby lathe is cork grips for rods

Nope ... I do some wood work, but I don't have a lathe. I'd love to get some, but I need to build a bigger workshop before that'll ever happen.

Do you paint the stars and stripes and trout.

I wouldn't say I'm a woodturner but I own two lathes. One is a benchtop harbor freight lathe and my main lathe is a pole lathe in the backyard. I use to turn saltwater plugs and whatever little jobs come around that require turning something from square to round. The pole lathe is just plain fun to use and is my preferred lathe unless the weather is crappy. When I'm feeling energetic I can get it cranked up to about 50 rpm. Best part is it was made from recycled lumber. I think it cost me maybe 10 bucks for bolts and a threaded rod.

I wouldn't say I'm a woodturner but I own two lathes. One is a benchtop harbor freight lathe and my main lathe is a pole lathe in the backyard. I use to turn saltwater plugs and whatever little jobs come around that require turning something from square to round. The pole lathe is just plain fun to use and is my preferred lathe unless the weather is crappy. When I'm feeling energetic I can get it cranked up to about 50 rpm. Best part is it was made from recycled lumber. I think it cost me maybe 10 bucks for bolts and a threaded rod.

Those small Harbor Freight lathes are actually pretty good and the basic framework for several other brands. I have the floor model which I got mostly for it's variable speed head but it takes some fanangling to make sure the head is aligned correctly. I maybe should have bought a fixed head lathe with variable speed but this one in the end is working out fine for me at a third the cost. My basement, IMO, is not dry enough to have tools that cost big bucks living down there. But ya , nothing wrong with the basement bench top lathe you have.

Just some stuff I turned, just wondering if anyone else is into turning

Nice work !

I've turned a few lidded box projects myself. I think a favorite from those who see them are mushrooms I turned from apple wood ( I have apple, locust, silver birch, white oak on my property in numbers that either shed branches in storms, get cut down etc). The mushroom cap lifts off. But I'm really getting into the niche of Christmas ornament turning. Besides the wood I have I'll look in the woods for downed trees or branches and get some poplar or maple. I have pine and cherry also in my basement... I turn no exotic woods, not when I have free wood drying right here. I also have turned candle sticks/holders from locust.

May your tools be eternal sharp !

Indeed it is. I have not one issue with the HF lathe. It's the 12 by 18 (I think.) the centers are center, its quiet and vibration free.

Nope ... I do some wood work, but I don't have a lathe. I'd love to get some, but I need to build a bigger workshop before that'll ever happen.

Do you paint the stars and stripes and trout.

No they are wood Stars and Stripes and the fish also, they were inlay kits that I get and then glue them in then turn on the lathe together to shape and size for the style pen I am doing

post-54821-0-53107900-1521206361_thumb.jpeg

post-54821-0-24363300-1521206394_thumb.jpeg

Just some stuff I turned, just wondering if anyone else is into turning

Nice work !

I've turned a few lidded box projects myself. I think a favorite from those who see them are mushrooms I turned from apple wood ( I have apple, locust, silver birch, white oak on my property in numbers that either shed branches in storms, get cut down etc). The mushroom cap lifts off. But I'm really getting into the niche of Christmas ornament turning. Besides the wood I have I'll look in the woods for downed trees or branches and get some poplar or maple. I have pine and cherry also in my basement... I turn no exotic woods, not when I have free wood drying right here. I also have turned candle sticks/holders from locust.

May your tools be eternal sharp !

I like making acorns out of my scraps for Christmas ornaments using real acorn caps

post-54821-0-93091000-1521206772_thumb.jpeg

Love the lidded bowl. Looks like a Maple burl? Great contrast on the finial, looks like walnut?

I too enjoy turning. I find it a great artistic release for me. My wife seems to prefer I make a mess in my work shop rather than fly tying stuff all over the house. funny how that works.

First mug is Norway Pine end grain with Walnut veneer for the crosses. The second is Apple wood from a tree across the street. The wine glass is Maple with Purple Heart veneer. This was fun. It was my first success doing this style of turning. The Heart shape on the stem is also done on the lathe.

Michael

The bowl is black locusts burl and the top was some wood from Cuba or some place like that, someone gave it to me so I used it. I got one more price I want to use for a real seat on a bamboo fly rod I’m trying to make. I like stuff you did that wine glass is cool, my wife will probably want me to make one lol

Michael

The bowl is black locusts burl and the top was some wood from Cuba or some place like that, someone gave it to me so I used it. I got one more price I want to use for a real seat on a bamboo fly rod I’m trying to make. I like stuff you did that wine glass is cool, my wife will probably want me to make one lol

The wine glass is an inside out turning. Concept is quite simple (youtube it). I purchased a wine glass from Wallie World (.99), cut the stem off and fit it to the top of the stem.. I used gel epoxy to attach it. I use some 5 min. Devcon epoxy, thinned 50/50 with Acetone. this works great to make it water resistant. Spray finish with Spar Urethane.

Curious how the Black Locus was to turn. I've been told it is very hard. I'm looking for some to try. I have a few dozen near my house, unfortunately they are all healthy.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.