Fly Tying
StoneFlyTyer

Any woodturners on here

Just some stuff I turned, just wondering if anyone else is into turning

Nice work !

I've turned a few lidded box projects myself. I think a favorite from those who see them are mushrooms I turned from apple wood ( I have apple, locust, silver birch, white oak on my property in numbers that either shed branches in storms, get cut down etc). The mushroom cap lifts off. But I'm really getting into the niche of Christmas ornament turning. Besides the wood I have I'll look in the woods for downed trees or branches and get some poplar or maple. I have pine and cherry also in my basement... I turn no exotic woods, not when I have free wood drying right here. I also have turned candle sticks/holders from locust.

May your tools be eternal sharp !

I like making acorns out of my scraps for Christmas ornaments using real acorn caps

Those acorns are cool!

Really like the grain on that bottom travel mug.

I was given a bunch of bunkbed parts. Actually they were going to through them out and I went dumpster diving. I had to try the end grain turning, it was just to interesting to pass it up.

Love the lidded bowl. Looks like a Maple burl? Great contrast on the finial, looks like walnut?

I too enjoy turning. I find it a great artistic release for me. My wife seems to prefer I make a mess in my work shop rather than fly tying stuff all over the house. funny how that works.

A couple of travel mugs I have done along with a wine glass.

First mug is Norway Pine end grain with Walnut veneer for the crosses. The second is Apple wood from a tree across the street. The wine glass is Maple with Purple Heart veneer. This was fun. It was my first success doing this style of turning. The Heart shape on the stem is also done on the lathe.

Michael

The bowl is black locusts burl and the top was some wood from Cuba or some place like that, someone gave it to me so I used it. I got one more price I want to use for a real seat on a bamboo fly rod I’m trying to make. I like stuff you did that wine glass is cool, my wife will probably want me to make one lol

The wine glass is an inside out turning. Concept is quite simple (youtube it). I purchased a wine glass from Wallie World (.99), cut the stem off and fit it to the top of the stem.. I used gel epoxy to attach it. I use some 5 min. Devcon epoxy, thinned 50/50 with Acetone. this works great to make it water resistant. Spray finish with Spar Urethane.

Curious how the Black Locus was to turn. I've been told it is very hard. I'm looking for some to try. I have a few dozen near my house, unfortunately they are all healthy.

The black locusts burl was not to bad to turn, but it was rough cutting it with a chainsaw, where I live there is a house that has like 4 trees that are massive and like 200 years old and full of burls, and during a wind storm damaged one so my buddy and I asked if we could cut some up. The couple that lived their were so happy to see it not go to waste, so we both made them a bowl and I still got a few big burls left

Most of my turning is reel seat inserts. I turned a few pens at a Woodcraft event where we made pens to be sent to service men and women.

IMG_7951.jpg

Penzzz,

OK I have to ask. What are you using for a finish on that real seat? The detail in that piece of wood is amazing. Did you dye it or is that its natural color?

Michael

The wood is California Buckeye Burl, which is what I would call a "punky" wood, very light and prone to exploding at the lathe if not stabilized. Years ago I purchased several blanks and had them stabilized, which fortified the wood considerably. If not stabilized the wood drinks in finish. I've seen CBB in many color variations - the one pictured is natural, not dyed. I turned and finished my last blank into an insert for an upcoming fiberglass rod build.

My finishing technique is an adaptation of a technique I learned from a local gunstock maker. Involves some pore filling, then many hand rubbed applications of a gunstock finish, in my case Pro Custom Oil. PCO is a penetrating Tung oil/urethane finish that is water resistant (I hesitate to call anything waterproof) finish that remains flexible. Tru-Oil is similar but doesn't include Tung oil in its formulation.

Penzzz,

I'm curious what the rest of the wood from the CBB looks like. Have you ever used anything other than the burls, turning or building? You said you had them stabilized, how was that done?

On a complete side note, I have a few sticks from an old Smoke Bush. It is a bit soft but if has an amazing yellow and green opposing growth rings. Last week I turned a couple of hair sticks using Lilac. Was able to capture some of the purple streaks in them. It was amazing to turn and nicely fragrant to boot.

Michael

Michael,

Wood stabilization is something I don't do myself, though there are numerous home-brew methods. Usually entails placing the wood piece into a fluid stabilization medium inside a vacuum chamber. The vacuum pulls the air out of the wood, and then allows the medium to flow into the voids in the wood. Do a quick search and you'll find numerous mediums, one of which is Plexiglas pieces melted in Acetone.

I've read a number of claims that stabilized reel seat inserts do not require any type of finish applied to them - just a thorough polishing on the lathe. In my experience stabilized inserts require a protective finish. The wood is still there even if a stabilization medium is sucked into the wood - the insert will still absorb moisture because it's still wood. It has happened to me...

As for what wood from the rest of a California Buckeye tree looks like, I've never looked that up.

Yeah, turning is great. You don't know what you're going to get until the character of the wood emerges as you turn away what you don't need.

Jeff

I was going to ask if that was buckeye burl or dyed big leaf maple. Love the buckeye burls, great looking insert PENZZZ

Thank you.

I've got the "Cactus Juice" stabilization system. I've done a few things, knife handles and wind chime parts.

I can tell you that you still need to finish the wood if you want it to look shiny ... like the knife handles

It won't absorb water, since the stabilization plasticizes the wood ... as the wind chime parts prove.

The cactus juice Mike mentioned is the best home use stabilizer I am aware of, I haven't done any stabilizing but an very familiar with it do to knife making.

Inadvertently put a stabilized reel seat into a wet rod bag overnight, let me know how deeply the sliding ring embeds itself into the wood. Mine took 24 hours to release the ring. Or, weigh a stabilized insert then place it into a glass of water overnight. Then, weigh it in the morning. Stabilization doesn't replace the wood, only the air.

Jeff

So it does still absorb some water ... as your example proves. But it won't rot, at least my chime parts haven't.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.