Fly Tying
StoneFlyTyer

Any woodturners on here

Never heard of a California buckeye tree. I hope they grow in pa. That's a beautiful hunk of wood.

Most of my turning is reel seat inserts. I turned a few pens at a Woodcraft event where we made pens to be sent to service men and women.

IMG_7951.jpg

I like that reel seat, do you drill your first or after turning I want to do one for a bamboo fly rod I’m working on. Also where did you get the reel seat parts from

Ive turned a few turkey call strikers. And a cedar turkey pot call. Cedar pot with a glass soundboard and a slate top.

Sorry StoneFlyTyer, I havent logged in recently and dont receive notifications (forgot to check the box). I bore the wood blank, then mount onto a steel mandrel to turn. That hardware skeleton is from REC, nickel silver. Hope this helps.

Jeff

I have been turning for around 20 years. I wouldn't say I am all that great at it. Sandpaper goes along way towards greatness. I also used to do penturning.

Playing on the lathe. In the top right of the picture I have a shelf of bowl blanks that are dry

Chris

Is it possible to load just a jpg file to the site instead of loading the picture to my site and then adding the url to this site?

lathe.jpg

Welcome to the site, hazard.

At the bottom right of the "reply to this topic" box, you'll see "more reply options".

Click on that. At the bottom left of the next screen, you'll see "Attach files".

From there you can select and upload photos directly from a computer.

Be aware, though. If you post a lot of pictures, you'll eventually fill up your "attachments" and will have to delete photos from there. That also deletes them from the site. If you look at my earliest posts ... there's no longer any photos where there should be some.

This is the very first Bowl I've made. It is from a Hemlock tree a friend took down. The other picture is of some hair sticks that my daughter requested. These are maple and cherry.

post-46603-0-33758400-1523134699_thumb.jpeg

post-46603-0-87536300-1523134721_thumb.jpeg

Very pretty.

Do you ever have problems with stems that narrow, and warping/twisting?

Those are the best looking wine glasses I have seen.

I have an elcheapo lathe that I got years ago. Could probably count on 1 hand the projects I have tried.

Very pretty.

Do you ever have problems with stems that narrow, and warping/twisting?

Nothing as of yet. I do try to keep the moisture content under 8% and I do seal them in epoxy before I spray finish them. That being said, I have had 2 travel mugs separate at the glue joints. Not sure what that was all about.

Michael

I have an elcheapo lathe that I got years ago. Could probably count on 1 hand the projects I have tried.

Thank you. They were fun and a challenge to make.

My first lathe was an Auction buy for $80 with tools. Had it up until just a couple of months ago (16 yearsish). It did me well. Some times you best tool is the sanding tool. It will hide a tremendous amount.

Michaael

Thank you. They were fun and a challenge to make.

My first lathe was an Auction buy for $80 with tools. Had it up until just a couple of months ago (16 yearsish). It did me well. Some times you best tool is the sanding tool. It will hide a tremendous amount.

Michaael

Kind of like the old joke, Caulk can make a bad finish carpenter look good.😁 My apologizes to all of you excellent finish carpenters.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread because I'm al most back to work.  Had shoulder surgery the end of Feb.  This is the first turning project I've done since.  I'm good for about 3 hours at a time on the lathe.

These are Trinity Bowls.  

thumbnail-46.thumb.jpeg.aff20d4340ae4178da30189bffbd7602.jpeg

thumbnail-47.thumb.jpeg.5635161b6eb93f7c5d44d82f681bb864.jpeg

thumbnail-45.thumb.jpeg.1cacf401c3607ded689d5aa78e989111.jpeg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.