Fly Tying
StoneFlyTyer

Any woodturners on here

Mark,

I meant to ask if you found any of that bowl to be a bit too soft/punky?  I've tried a couple of spalted pieces only to find them too far gone and quite difficult to work with.  

Michael

4 hours ago, essequamvideri said:

Mark,

I meant to ask if you found any of that bowl to be a bit too soft/punky?  I've tried a couple of spalted pieces only to find them too far gone and quite difficult to work with.  

Michael

After I got the burl, I let it spalt in my yard for about two years. Three years would have been too much. There were softer spots in it but not to the punky point. I stabilized the bowl as I went along with CA glue. And, as you can see, I left it a little thick. I would have liked the walls to be a little thinner but I didn't want it to blow apart.

My last spalted bowl had a couple of soft spots in it.  A member of our woodworking group had mentioned something called "Wood Hardener" by Minwax.  Really interesting stuff.  Definitely firms up the wood so you can turn it.  Although I did find it tough on sandpaper.  Not sure if I didn't let it set/harden long enough because it had a tendency to gum up the paper as it heated up. 

1461991272_thumbnail3.thumb.jpeg.55f4e8c40dc9bbaa3af172adf62f6d09.jpeg

Michael

Found these Kaleidoscope kits through PenState Industries.  I had forgotten how much fun you can have turning something small.  They are only 2 1/2" tall and 2" round. A good friend had a bunch of cut offs from coasters he makes.  I epoxied a bunch of them together and made some eggs.  

265467999_thumbnail-26copy.thumb.jpeg.83a4833fbaa268ef46b10a9610770ded.jpeg