Fly Tying
StoneFlyTyer

Any woodturners on here

Mark,

I meant to ask if you found any of that bowl to be a bit too soft/punky?  I've tried a couple of spalted pieces only to find them too far gone and quite difficult to work with.  

Michael

4 hours ago, essequamvideri said:

Mark,

I meant to ask if you found any of that bowl to be a bit too soft/punky?  I've tried a couple of spalted pieces only to find them too far gone and quite difficult to work with.  

Michael

After I got the burl, I let it spalt in my yard for about two years. Three years would have been too much. There were softer spots in it but not to the punky point. I stabilized the bowl as I went along with CA glue. And, as you can see, I left it a little thick. I would have liked the walls to be a little thinner but I didn't want it to blow apart.

My last spalted bowl had a couple of soft spots in it.  A member of our woodworking group had mentioned something called "Wood Hardener" by Minwax.  Really interesting stuff.  Definitely firms up the wood so you can turn it.  Although I did find it tough on sandpaper.  Not sure if I didn't let it set/harden long enough because it had a tendency to gum up the paper as it heated up. 

1461991272_thumbnail3.thumb.jpeg.55f4e8c40dc9bbaa3af172adf62f6d09.jpeg

Michael

Found these Kaleidoscope kits through PenState Industries.  I had forgotten how much fun you can have turning something small.  They are only 2 1/2" tall and 2" round. A good friend had a bunch of cut offs from coasters he makes.  I epoxied a bunch of them together and made some eggs.  

265467999_thumbnail-26copy.thumb.jpeg.83a4833fbaa268ef46b10a9610770ded.jpeg 

I just saw this topic and wanted to say that is some great work. I have been turning for about 10 years but only have a smaal machine. One of the things I have done a lot of are the mini bird houses. They sell well so why not.IMG_20160919_164311209.thumb.jpg.babc2a067b5edd99376bb4d56db9f704.jpg7769f3557b5e0b0e3b82ebff78c7bb7d.thumb.jpg.034eaff57b686be008c3179d61d8122a.jpg

On 3/15/2018 at 4:10 PM, Bryon Anderson said:

Beautiful work! I have a lathe and would love to learn to use it, but I've spent the last few years learning basic-to-intermediate woodworking. Turning is next! I'd love to do the pen barrels like in your pics, also reel seat inserts for fly rods.

Look for a local Woodcraft store or Rockler store for lessons. Also, if you want to check this out, the American Association of Woodturners, www.woodturner.org for a local chapter.

I finished making a 3/4” round nose scrapper out of a piece of 1/2” thick chipper blade.  That stuff is extremely hard steel.  I’m turning the center of a ravioli rolling pin using Hard Maple.  I think the scrapper is going to do what I need.

Michael R. Earle

”Esse Quam Videri”

Michael,

I can't open your attachment.  My laptop doesn't support "Quicktime" movie formats.  Can you post a picture?

Mikechell,

No worries.  I had made a larger version of this a while back that is 2.25" wide.  I put a 21" handle on it for extra support.  I was forewarned to keep a scrapper below the center line of the piece you are turning.  That way you prevent any possibility of a catch.  They both peal off rice paper thin ribbons.  It's really cool to watch. 

thumbnail-39.thumb.jpeg.79df3a52b8815648d309c9b3243a3560.jpeg

thumbnail-44.thumb.jpeg.a1ab1502248b209e44f02647299c1d1e.jpeg

thumbnail-42.thumb.jpeg.2886d93ef052220b453eea7405a7bd11.jpeg

Found this pasta cutter at an antique shop.  It had a bad handle so I thought I’d use some scraps to make a new one.

Michael R. Earle

“Esse Quam Videri “

63A71C28-804B-4366-ABB5-7992CB2471A1.jpeg

1C465016-EF8F-4ABD-B924-753ACBF122BD.jpeg