Fly Tying

post-23663-0-07799600-1521384362_thumb.jpg (Click to Enlarge)

This fly is a cross between a Royal Wulff, Royal Trude, Parachute Adams, Spinner, and my own Wonder Bug. I tied it for the dog days of summer and it works well to bring larger fish to the surface. When using this fly it has a better strike and hookup performance than a Royal Wulff, I believe because of the different look and great silhouette it presents on the water - to see what I mean look at it from the underside with a lighted background as shown in the last picture above.

Hook: Any brand 4X long size 6 to 16 with a fine wire, having as wide a gape as possible or a Mustad 3261

Thread: Black6/0 (70 denier) or larger

Tail: Golden pheasant tippets

Body: (Traditional Materials) Peacock Herl/Red Floss/ Peacock Herl (Non-Traditional Materials) Black foam or Floss/Red Heat Shrink/Black Foam Floss(as presented)

Legs: Medium to fine speckled white rubber centipede leg material

Wing: White material made with heat-n-bond and netting

Hackle: Tied parachute style Grizzly and Brown mixed.

Man that is ugly. But I love it. How could it not work?

It has a fantastic profile from underneath. And it is so different. I have heard curiosity killed the cat. In this case curiosity catches the fish.

WOW! That is different. I totally love the OUT-OF-THE-BOX thinking behind that. Good job! Experimenting is what progresses this sport!!!!! Chernoble super fly kitchen sink wiz-bang!!!! I dig it!

No no no! You have to match the hatch perfectly in size, shape and color and present it at the perfect time of the year and even a very specific time. That doesn't even have a Latin name. It will never work.

My gosh Silver Creek. That's an H&L Variant Variant...or is an embellished H&L Variant...of is a thoroughly annihilated version of H&L Variant?

DHC, that fly is different enough to get a name and a place in anyone's fly box.

I like it! Question (for anyone)--where would one obtain red heat shrink that is translucent as shown in the last photo?

Try this link http://www.performance-pcs.com In the search box at this site type in HeatShinkz

You bet they are v. I can already see them being used on soft hackle bodies you want thin. If they're transparent some of the bodies could slip over other materials for a body. That's the kind of thing you could sit at the bench and find places for it as you go along.