Fly Tying
flytire

April Flies From The Vise

What does this one represent bimini?
My complete inability to follow fly recipes... :D

Seriously, I was aiming for a dragonfly nymph.

I have the same problem it's why I like tying bass flys more than trout flys, gives me lots of respect for guys like flytire who can bust out a dozen nearly identical classic flys.

I think it would fish well maybe some bead chain somewhere to make it ride point up and it also resemble a sculpin.

A #4/0 Jock Scott

Spectacular! I am getting started on some salmon flies, but still have a long way to go.

Keep at it! Just repeat - repeat, and pay attention to the details: You'll get there!

A #4/0 Jock Scott

Havard Eide, I admire the craftsmanship and artistic talent it took to tie that fly, a true Classic. Having never attempted such a fly would you give a rough idea how much time and investment in materials is involved in this fly?

If you just look at the cost of the feathers on the hook: Not that much :) Here I have used substitutes, so no cotinga/toucan.

When it comes to time, time to tie it: 2-3 hours I guess. I can do it quicker, but this is about taking the time and relaxing while doing it! The JC was the first classic I laid my eyes on when I started tying, but I wisely put that aside and graduated through other classics before I finally tied my first JC last year :)

My first attempt at a somewhat complex rib. It is on the body of a freestyle spey fly. It is purple Berlin wool, under UNI embossed gold tinsel, under silver oval tinsel, counter wrapped with gold wire.

attachicon.gifC2EF852F-CBDF-403D-907F-E5F326882171.jpeg

One thing; do the counter-rib after you put the hackle on, that way you'll secure the hackle, and it will laster longer in the river!

Mike, That little bug would work on everything from sunfish to trout. One of the nicest mop flies so far In my opinion.

Les

Mike, That little bug would work on everything from sunfish to trout. One of the nicest mop flies so far In my opinion.

Les

Les

Agreed!

Thx guys.

I was just surfing the web for Mop flies and took some ideas that I liked and combined them.

I have a couple tweaks I want to do to it still. I’ll post it when I figure it out.

post-57957-0-44818600-1522701275_thumb.jpgpost-57957-0-94172900-1522701297_thumb.jpg #14 glass nymphs, one weighted one not for use on a tandem set-up.