Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Any book collectors here?

I have some old books, including some fishing books, that I would like to check and see if they are worth anything. But I am not a collector and I have no idea where to start.

Any pointers, websites, etc. welcome.

Thanks

Look for the titles on E-bay and Amazon. See if someone else is selling the same thing. I've gotten price values that way, before.

You can also take pictures of the book covers and get into an antique site. Some of them will give rough assessments online.

I have a fairly large "collection" of books, but I haven't worried too much lately about value. This site may give you some comparison information if you have any of the same titles. This site, An Angler's Bookcase, has 2700 books for sale right now. Comparing what others are selling books for, will at least give you some idea of what yours might be worth. Of course that is what they are asking what you might be able to get won't be quite the same.

With decades of fly fishing magazines on the book shelves & some 700-800 books collecting dust in different rooms, thought about selling them before a hurricane & high water damaged the library. Still have yet to get around to it as don't research what's been read anymore, but Abe's Books is a good start for pricing since they're mostly book dealers.

Thanks for the replies.

Of the fishing few I have, I wonder mostly about a 1902 and about a 1921 book. Pretty sure the other ones are not antiques, just old and probably too common.

Found mostly modern reprints, not originals. The one original I found is worth a bit more than mine should, because it has a note from the author.

This could become a full time hobby... :)