Fly Tying
Mike West

Warm Water “Top to Bottom” Swap

okay

i got the swap flies in the mail today in an envelope and a different box

did i not send in a self addressed stamped envelope for returning the flies in the swap box i supplied?

The box you won wouldnt fit in the envelope and two of them I had to redo the postage because I cut the stamps off and I tapped them to a new bigger envelope...cant tape over stamps.

There was a total of four packages I had to redo...cant remember who or what.

Everything OK?

Edit: the other part of your question....no you were just suppose send in any kind of box and who ever wins your flies I just forward the whole thing to the winner. Thats how Ive done in the last 3 swaps.

I hope everyone understood that part of it.

Received my flies in the mail today and wanted to that flytiere for the great flies. I have been wanting to tie up some of the green ones but didn't have the material. Cant wait to try these out. Also wanted to thank Mike for hosting I'm sure its a lot of work.

You guy are welcome...I enjoy doing it.

The one I would really like to do, I dont think Id get many takers.

About the box issue..Like I said early I never ran into this issue before and it was an education on possible problems that should have been dealt with up front.

It will be next time.

To address Vicrider & Flytier...this is a catch 22.

So if you wanted your box back with someone elses flies,

Flytier yours would have fit..Vicrider I dont remember what you used but the issue is some guys sent flies in little 2x3 boxes because they fit what they tied..now if Im sending everybodys box back to them and that person wins my flies or Cracklebacks or few other folks who tied big flies Im in the same situation buying a bigger box for that person cause they dont fit.

The way I looked at it some folks sent a nice $2-$4 utility box to be passed on...how nice of them. Every swap people have done that. Twice Ive had guys send in real fly boxes that probably cost them &12-$18 and it was the same rules.

If anyone is unhappy with what happened send me a PM and Ill make it right.

I got mine from Zip. Wow, what a set!

Thanks Mike for a running a great swap and the extra materials!

I thought the instructions were clear that the box sent, would go to someone else. All in all I think this swap went very well. I've enjoyed your swaps and appreciate the time you invested in running it.

post-59266-0-39803300-1528423393_thumb.jpg

great set of flys caloosa definitely been needing some smaller warm water flys.

Mike thanks for hosting and the extras, I hate painting poppers so your nicely painted body's are much appreciated.

Hazathor

Got your great set!

Thanks for hosting and I've got some interesting material to experiment with too

crackleback

thanks for the flies

pm me your address so i can send you back the box you sent your flies in.

Just got a bitchin set of flies from Muskyflyguy!I really love the bottom bouncers!And thanks for some raw poppers,Mike!I agree with everyone else-this was a great swap and everyone turned out some quality work!Hope there's another lile it soon!

crackleback

thanks for the flies

pm me your address so i can send you back the box you sent your flies in.

You can keep it. Ive got like ten more just like it. Plus I can get a new one for about two bucks.

Once again you guys are welcome. Thx for joining.

It would be nice to see some pictures posted(when you get around to it)of what you do with Dragon Tail material and some finished poppers.

I havent messed with it myself yet. I think it was Fshng2(?) that figured out how to trim and taper it like a Dragon tail.

Wheres that post at Fshng2...can you post a link to it here?

Got back from fishing in Canada yesterday and received a wonderful set of flies from Mainard. I tied dozens of flies for the trip and ended up using six. Smallies were pounding Murdich minnows in sizes 1/0 and 2/0. Thanks to Mike for another excellent swap.

It would be nice to see some pictures posted(when you get around to it)of what you do with Dragon Tail material and some finished poppers.

I havent messed with it myself yet. I think it was Fshng2(?) that figured out how to trim and taper it like a Dragon tail.

I trimmed some of it up this morning, actually pretty impressed with it the fluff seems to be very well attached no signs of coming off.

Eelie

Hook: 4/0

Yarn: Yarn Bee Eternal Bliss from Hobby Lobby

Scissors: A long scissor and a short scissor (Serrated are best)

Snap Swivel: Any style will work

1. Tie the tail of the yarn to one end of a snap swivel and clamp the other end of that swivel in a vise.

This allows the yarn to turn easily while trimming.

2. Pull the yarn tight with one hand and trim with the other.

3. Start by tapering one side of the yarn. When finished turn the swivel 90 degrees and taper that side.

Each time one side is done turn the swivel 90 degrees and trim until you have four flat sides that are all the desired taper you want.

Round all the edges until you are satisfied.

4. When building the head section keep wraps tight and close together.

This makes for a head that is easy to trim and will keep it's shape.

5. To prevent unraveling of the tail I secured the end with flat waxed nylon and whip finished.

Snap Swivel: obyD0Iyt.jpgv8jR2o6.jpg

Yarn with finished taper

tUfgkoo.jpg

I received some very nice flies yesterday.

Thanks Old Hat, I can't wait to try them.

What hook did you use for the bend-backs?

Great swap Mike... thanks for hosting and thanks for the extras.

Will post pics of finished popper and any patterns tied from the materials.

FYI the larger eelies I tied for the swap were just furled and did not use any adhesive.

This was much faster and the end product is more flexible than twisting doubled over strands together and glueing.