Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Troutslayer101

Dragon Fly Wings

I hoping to tie up so Dragon flys for top water bass fishing. Having a hard time finding what material to use for the wings. Hoping it can be some what durable and take some hits from hopefully some larger bass. Thanks

Organza or 100% nylon ribbon, you can make a template out of sheet brass trim close then melt the edges with a lighter( this stops it from unweaving). comes in many colors takes permanent markers well and can be found in craft stores, best time to buy after the holidays when they go on sale.

You need to be careful of that choice you make. First, I'm talking about large dragonfly patterns I was making for bass. 3"-4" wing span sized dragon flies. I've gone through this Dragon fly design thing and my results are that making wings that are from , lets say thin packing foam sheets, looks great, looks close to real, right? Yea, but it also works like a parachute when trying to cast. I could NOT get a full cast without them dead falling right out of the air. It also can twist the fly during the cast. It sucked! A little Crystal flash or rubber leg material (in my opinion) made the better FUNCTIONING fly. Might not be the most realistic, but it functioned and casts well. What good is a fly if you can't fish or cast it. Those realistic winged dragonflies I tied, gave to my friends wife that loves dragon flies for decoration. Seriously! They sucked! I recommend you only tie one and try it before you commit to a pattern that LOOKS awesome. You might be making décor, not fishing flies. smile.png

Flytire, how does hackle hold up? I have seen it done with hackle but it makes it hard on me to use hackle when capes are so much money. I was afraid that it would not hold up. Thanks guys. I am looking for something to fish so and not so much realistic

Flytire, how does hackle hold up? I have seen it done with hackle but it makes it hard on me to use hackle when capes are so much money. I was afraid that it would not hold up. Thanks guys. I am looking for something to fish so and not so much realistic

I don't know. I posted that photo as a suggestion

White poly (polypropylene) yarn. It floats, folds a up a bit in "flight", and is tough as nails. Don't just toss the fly into a bin and be done with it, give the stuff plenty of room in a fly box. Like most synthetics it will take a set that is tougher to pull out than with natural materials.