Fly Tying
saltydancindave

Anyone Fish Out of a Float Tube

Only two thing have made my heart stop while fishing:

1. A manatee that unexpectedly showed up while I was wading. Did not see it coming, so the ruckus it made coming up to breath about 30 ft to my flank scared the bejeezus out of me.

2. While standing in the canoe, could not be in more than 8ft of water, a group of dolphin start a frenzy on a school of mullet right behind me. The canoe starts rocking and all I could do was trying to keep my very precarious balance while alI could see in the corner of my eye was mullet flying and BIG fish with BIG fins. I had witnessed a similar shark franzy at a very healthy distance a couple months before in the same area. Needless to say, my mind was not thinking it was dolphin.

I really need to get back to paddling...

LOL Bimini; I hope you were able to hose yourself down before you got back into your car. Back in the 70s, when the movie "Jaws" came out, everybody was talking about it, and the saltwater crowd was no exception. We all laughed it off, but anybody who said he didn't have a great white shark in the back of his mind was lying through his teeth. About a week after I saw the movie, I was diving for clams; I was stirring up the usual cloud of mud, and a big school of silversides were swarming around in the muddy water behind me. I came up to empty my bag, and at the same instant I broke the surface, a gull crashed into the water right behind my head. It only took a few seconds for me to figure out that it was just a bird after the baitfish, but it scared the living hell out of me, and all kinds of unpleasant thoughts ran through my mind. I fully expected to wake up on a slab with Richard Dreyfus measuring the bite marks. I didn't watch another shark movie until I hung up my diving gear for good, and I still can't watch one without thinking about that damned bird. I've seen sharks in the water since, but they never scared me half as much as the one that wasn't there.

About 20 years ago at a used book store found a 1959 copy of Dangerous Marine Animals / That Bite - Sting - Shock - are Non - Edible by Bruce W. Halstead; most of which I'd have to reread again, but other than urchins, nettles & sea snakes just seemed more routine not even encountering most of what was listed.