Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Celebrating 7 years today

Just gotta make your mind up to do it Mike. I'm sure you want to be around for at least another 20 yrs of fishing ;)

Don't stop trying. I honestly tried probably 100 times before I finally made my mind up to do it.

Try Chantix. It really does work, and if you're on an insurance plan, it's paid for.

I tried that stuff twice and yes it works or helps, cool dreams at 1st then the most terrifying nightmares I’ve ever had in my life. Very viivid.

The problem with any drug or addiction is you have to want to quit. Or nothing will work.

I love smoking

I had a little incentive in 2009 survived my 1st heart attack (praying it will be my last), right side 100% occluded, left side 90 and a 60 blockage. I was a runner and still pretty fit at the time. Smoked, chewed, and drank like a good retired sailor. Mike the damage from that was permanent, if you quite you will heal, don't wait for the permanent scaring. Sorry if I sound like a broken record, do not stop trying to quit.

The problem with any drug or addiction is you have to want to quit. Or nothing will work.

I love smoking

That's really the key right there. You can know something is bad for you, you can want to quit doing it, but until you really deep down want to quit for the right reason then it won't work.

I know when I was still smoking and drinking I knew all the reasons to quite and I hated people telling me the reasons like I was stupid or something and didn't know already, so I won't do that to you. With that said though Mike I really do hope you decide to put them down before it's too late. You have to love life more than you love cigarettes.

23 years of not smelling like an ash tray

9pxQ.gif

heart attack and cold turkey worked for me

Unfortunately, not everyone "gets" the benefits of quitting. I don't celebrate my own quit date ... actually, I don't even remember how long ago it was except it was in May. I don't feel different. I never gained my "breath" back.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't quit for the health benefits, since I don't feel any of them.

I quit when the price of a pack went over $4.00. I got better things to spend my money on.

How much and how long did you smoke Mike? Because it was like night & day for me far as breathing, energy, sleeping better, etc etc. I was about a pack to a pack&half day menthol smoker for about 12-14 years.

I'm 59 ... I started smoking when I was 28 ... You and I quit in the same time frame, I think.

I was a Marlboro man, pack a day fro most of that time.

I can tell you, I felt no different before and after. I can also tell you I don't even think about. Yes, I used Chantix to quit ... but I've never felt like picking them up since.

I never did drink a lot ... I don't like beer and maybe two or three times a year I'll have a couple of drinks.

That's really weird that you never felt different after quitting. I honestly don't think I have ever known anyone that quit that didn't say they could tell a huge difference. Then again you have always been weird tongue.pngtongue.png

Mikechell, for what it's worth I think you just never got addicted to the nicotine... I was the same way with alcohol, no problem giving that up. Not the same for nicotine for me, that was a mofo.

I quit when the price of a pack went over $4.00. I got better things to spend my money on.

I knew it!

If they sold cigarettes at the Dollar Store I bet hed still be smoking.

Sorry had to do it

😎

I've got to go along with Steve on this one. Mikechell is the first person who quit smoking who had been a regular for years and didn't notice many improvements in life, many almost immediately. Better breathing, food tastes better, mouth feels a whole lot better when you wake up in morning, many little things. My wife and her sister quit fairly recently and they have already doubled the distance they walk in the Washita Battle Field Grounds with less fatigue than while smoking.

Mike West, I can KIND OF sympathize with you on quitting if you really enjoy it. For me, even when I did a two pack day with pack average I hated cigarettes. I hated the smell, the taste, the burning throat, all of it. It was only through great will power and the help of alcohol I was able to continue my habit from about 16 to 30. I did quit a few times in there, once for almost a year. Why start again? I can honestly say it was a combination of alcohol and a woman who smoked that did me in every time. I couldn't sit and hustle her at the bar without having a cigarette myself and it was on.