Fly Tying
JayWirth

Fly nameing

For communicating to the fellow angler what I did well on or have been using, it's pretty simple to say "dry/wet/nymph/whatis in xx size and that color" + "here try a couple of these" + wave& walk on.

To post on a board such as this it's nice to have some name to distinguish one variant from the many others, or if one has a unique new offering, by all means name it, but until it sells a bunch the name will remain unrecognized out side the board archives. And unless you register the name as a trademark some one else is free to use that name on an entirely different type offering.

This is always a hard one I have many flies that go un-named, because I don't copy other people's flies it makes it easy not rename flies. I only tie what I catch mostly chironomids. I guess one of the best examples is my 38 I named because I got Brian Chan to test it one day and a couple days later he called and said he wanted a refund he caught 38 fish on it before it fell apart.

iQPejho.jpg

I changed the color of the thread on the parachute Adams from medium grey to light medium grey. I'm calling it the Samuel Adams Light....... Let the stoning begin. smile.png

I think the only reason to name them is sales.

I can think of several other reasons, like you want to tell somebody else what was working. Or you want to write something in your fishing log so that you can remember a year later. "That thingie I tied" just doesn't cut it for either purpose.

Yeah I considered that, so, if I tell you the "pea head split wing" was really killing fish in size 16; what will you know other than the size? Until it's sold enough to be a recognizable name, the name doesn't pass on any information. If I want to include it in a log it would behoove me to include a detailed description and maybe a drawing. Chances are slim and none that a random? name used once on a new invention will be recalled a year or two down the road.

Why does it have to be sold to have a recognizable name? I've tied flies that only my fishing partner and I had names for, but we could communicate each other. I've got names for flies that I don't share, so that I know what I'm talking about when I read my notes.

iQPejho.jpg

What he said...there arent any new flies since about the 50s- 60s other than new materials and variants of them.

Couple prime examples would be the Wooly Worm & Muddler Minnow.

How many 1000s of patterens are based off of those two.

I still call a crackle-back a woolly worm, gets me a funny look now and then, here in the Ozarks, and there are probably a couple hundred variations on the crackle-back.

and the good old woolly worm decended from the soldier/soldier palmer

http://www.classicflytying.com/index.php?showtopic=39821

Other way around, I believe. The Solider Palmer, from everything I've read, is a 19th century variant of the basic palmer (a palmer was caterpillar, or fly tied to look like one) The woolly worm goes back at least the 17th century.

redietz - this last comment makes perfect sense, and I think, what most fishermen would do amongst themselves. Does this muddy the waters not only on the retail side but in regards to teaching / history keeping? Does a new tier know that a CDC Adams is a 'play' on an original? Does this ever get into print (magazines, books, online) to continue to water down fly tying information?

I doubt this is anything that will change - but enjoy the conversation.

Walton listed 12 flies and three or four of them had the hackle palmer, I think, Dame J. also listed the same or similar flies. So, the palmer method may be as old as fly tying. Tough Walton's flies had wings, it could easily have happened that someone left a wing off.

I think the Soldier fly is the same that I have seen mentioned as the "Red Palmer"?

"this is a variation of one of the oldest flies known, the Red Palmer – which is mentioned by Izaak Walton (1653) and maybe even Dame Juliana Berners (1496)" http://globalflyfisher.com/video/soldier-palmer

"Izaak Walton specifically mentions the Soldier Palmer in his most well known book. From there, other flies developed, including the Woolly Worm, from which the Woolly Bugger is considered of direct descent." http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/patterns/woolly-bugger/

Wikipedia says "The original Woolly Worm pattern is said to have originated in the Ozarks as a bass fly." I doubt that, but it illustrates how easy misinformation is acquired.

History of which came first and did two similar get invented at the same moment by different tyers is really guess work, because a pattern may have been in use for a century or five centuries before it was described by a well known writer.

I tie a streamer that works really well for trout in Northern Michigan rivers. I've never seen one for sale, but, because it's basically a hybrid of two very well-known established patterns (the Woolly Bugger and the Zonker) it still doesn't feel right to me to name it. If I'm using it and someone asks what it is, I just give them one.