Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
R-Money

Need help identifying material (baitfish pattern)

These are craft fur.... got the long stuff and colored the white purple and red with sharpie. The green, yellow, purple came offf Mardi Gras leggings

IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

Yep..if that isn,t bucktail i,ll eat my antlers..lol.

got a big bottle of ketchup? Although there is a huge variance in the quality of "buck"tail, that ain't it.

Doesn't look tapered to me, just staggered. Looks like extrem select craft fur w/o under fur, if such even exists...

I thought it really resembled craft fur as well.
too long/crinkly to be craft fur, no?

It sounds like you already know..just look for a fine synthetic with a little krinkle and length or are we looking for a certain VARIATION..lol.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

As I mentioned above, it is NOT bucktail. It does not taper to a "point" naturally like bucktail fibers do, and it's very limp and not "stiff" or straight. I even tried the "faux" bucktail from fishskull, and honestly that stuff is rather stiff and straight; almost to the extent that I don't think I'll even tie with it. Rather use the real thing (natural bucktail) for clousers, etc.

It's not craft fur as far as I can tell. Any and all craft fur I've purchased has been shorter and the fibers can get pretty tangled if you mess them up with your fingers. This stuff was long and seemed to stay pretty untangled even when rubbed between your fingers.

Still searching for the answer. I'm confident someone will see it and know what it is! Thanks again for the input everyone.

R-Money, try this, soak it in some water for about an hour to see if it changes..natural hairs will change some like yak hair gets more krinkly especially after it dries..synthetics don,t change at all, idon,t think..i forgot to mention that yak hair is so long that it will have cut ends like that to make a fly..plus it,s real easy to stagger the length like that..

Ear hair from a left handed blind in one eye pre adult bison from Jersey City NJ

Very rare almost endangered

Ear hair from a left handed blind in one eye pre adult bison from Jersey City NJ

Very rare almost endangered

Almost endangered? laugh.png The part where you wrote "... a ..." mean there's ONE ! I'd say it's on the endangered list right now !!!

laugh.png Too funny !!!

Rocco, you're too much. But you forgot to mention that the yak in question was algae-stained from rolling around in stagnant yak wallows during the high summer season. Since summer in Tibet is about three hours long, the hair has to harvested quickly, and kept moist under grow lights to keep the color from fading. Seriously, I could tie the same fly with any number of the 5,000 kinds of fibers I have in my stash, so why all the mystery? It's entirely possible that the hair was one of the flash-in-the-pan materials that are around for a while and disappear until somebody invents them again. BTW - The Fly Tiers' Dungeon sells some offbeat materials, and they're often inconsistent. Could be something like that.

Kinda a serious question here, the synthetics must all be nylon, acrylic or polyester, is that correct?

If it is, then the question I have is; is there really a great difference between brands of any of these fibers? What I mean is; nylon vs nylon vs nylon, should I expect a noticeable difference in tying or fishability?

Kinda a serious question here, the synthetics must all be nylon, acrylic or polyester, is that correct?

If it is, then the question I have is; is there really a great difference between brands of any of these fibers? What I mean is; nylon vs nylon vs nylon, should I expect a noticeable difference in tying or fishability?

texture, thickness(stiffness), natural taper, sheen and length all greatly vary between the materials. So yes.