Fly Tying
mikechell

I really DO hate people.

3 people fishing the whole lake today and a jerk has to come all the way down by me and cast to 4 feet away from where I am standing

OVER MY FLYLINE!!!!!!!!!

take one guess what I did.....yup, my next cast went right over his head!!!!

there was a forest preserve survey taker there and he knows me, he seen the whole thing.

he walked back over to me and we talked again for about a half hour, his first words were

"that guys a D!^K" LOLOL

What goes around comes around. Just a reminder for you haters.

Oh, I hope so. I, pretty much, ignore the people I hate.

As long as those who hate me back do what I do, and ignore me ... I can live thrive with that!

I have had many similar encounters with air boaters on the same river (different area,) while fishing from my kayak. Last winter, I was wade fishing in a side channel, and the boaters could see us in there, but insisted on coming down the channel were fishing instead of the 2 other larger channels. When your standing in the water, just the spray off the fan is annoying, not to mention the wake swamping your waders. Some people have no sense or manners. Like Mike, I hate air boats, and most of those who drive them.

Regardless of how obnoxious a person is in a boat or a jetski anyone who would intentionally cast so as to do them harm should be looking at serious fines and a damage suit. Anyone who does it intentionally and does damage the person with line slices or hooks should be looking at jail time. Writing down HULL #s and turning them in for unsafe practices is one thing but unless a person is seriously trying to do us harm then we do not have the right to do them harm because they annoy us. If we as fishermen cannot rise above the road rage practices out on our highways then we are no better than the people you intend to bring harm to. Suck it up cupcake, the world is full idiots but you do not have an 007 license to harm.

Utyer, I hear your anger but at least you're not throwing musky plugs at them. The situation you describe should be a prime situation to outlaw legally air boats using the side channel unless they live on it and keep it closed to air boats when they have two other larger channels to use like you described. Take action through local water enforcement and improve the situation for everyone.

1) ... no better than the people you intend to bring harm to.

2) ... you do not have an 007 license to harm.

1) I never claimed to be better than that jetskier. His intention was to harass me, clearly. My intention, then, was to harm him. I was willing to call the cops and see which way the incident went, but he took off. It's not easy to raise my anger, mad.gif but when it comes, I'm willing, ready and able to come out swinging.

It might not be the "civil" thing to do ... or legal ... but sometimes, the barbarian must be loosed !!! ohmy.png

2) Maybe I DO ... tongue.png

Situations like this are why I dont get my concealed and carry and why I dont carry on the water unless I am hunting. The water doesnt look like airboat water to me,

I have had my say at jet skiers too. No reason to circle the boat or come real close. By the way, they dont like it when you chuck rocks at them but they sure get the message.

I too do not like all the noise pollution!

I've followed this thread all this time without commenting, which wasn't easy. My reason for checking my normal impulsiveness was that I really didn't know what my position was on the proper way to respond to and/or deal with all the obnoxious, oblivious, entitled bonehead people whose number seem to increase daily.

Having now heard all the various points of view expressed here, I have to say that I agree with Mike, to this extent: Statistically, it is probably still true that the majority of people are basically decent, respectful and kind, BUT the ones who are not have gotten so much more egregious in their attitudes and actions that it seems (to me, at least) that what the obnoxious ones lack in numbers they make up for in ferocity. As a result, I tend to spend a lot of time and energy trying to steer clear of my fellow humans, and I have come to a point where I don't feel the least bit bad when the idiots get what's coming to them.

I also agree with those who have expressed the undeniable truth that there have always been jerks and idiots in the world and they're not going away anytime soon, and that it behooves those of us who wish not to become just like them to learn to take a deep breath and "let it go". Mike, I have to say here that I agree with your distinction between hate and anger/reactivity. It IS possible to dislike other people intensely, and to simultaneously live, work and recreate in close proximity to them as long as we find relatively harmless ways to deal with our negative feelings. By the same token, I also agree with Mike's statement that there IS a line, and, when it is crossed, for good or ill sometimes the gloves have to come off.

I'm one of those people who, if I'm not careful with my thoughts, can end up getting really depressed as a result of just trying to live in the world as it exists right now. My current attitude is this: Civilization appears to be in decline. If I'm wrong about that--yay! If I'm right, my plan is to do such small things as I can to make the world a better place, and otherwise make a "bubble" consisting of my family, my friends and the activities that keep me sane, and live in that bubble until I live no more.

Nicely put, Bryon.

Glad to see you're "one of us" ... and not one of "the people".

I'm one of those people who, if I'm not careful with my thoughts, can end up getting really depressed as a result of just trying to live in the world as it exists right now.

There is a word for people like you: thinkers.

I'm one of those people who, if I'm not careful with my thoughts, can end up getting really depressed as a result of just trying to live in the world as it exists right now.

Actually the word hater is more applicable. Where do you guys fish that you run into so many more idiots that require violence then I do? I live, work, fish and boat in one of the most populated areas of PA and can honestly say do not run into more then one or two people a year who leave me with a negative taste in my mouth. Aside from somebody trying to physically hurt me, it's very rare that I would ever want to physically assault somebody just because I think they may be an idiot.

Ha .. Poopdeck ... I think most of the "bad" people from PA come down here to fish.

Actually the word hater is more applicable. Where do you guys fish that you run into so many more idiots that require violence then I do? I live, work, fish and boat in one of the most populated areas of PA and can honestly say do not run into more then one or two people a year who leave me with a negative taste in my mouth. Aside from somebody trying to physically hurt me, it's very rare that I would ever want to physically assault somebody just because I think they may be an idiot.

Poopdeck, notice the part I quoted. I wasn’t even talking about idiots on boats, just agreeing with Bryon on the general point that the current state of affairs around the world can be depressing.

I don't hate anyone....well, almost no one. smile.png For the record, I've never raised my hand or a weapon to another human being in my life, and have no plans to do so. Sometimes, as I said, "the gloves have to come off", but that can take many different forms. I would never resort to physical violence unless it were in self-defense (or defense of another) against an ongoing attack.

Poopdeck, I'm envious of your ability tolerate close proximity to other people without being bothered by them. I try very hard to achieve that state of mind myself, but it's difficult for me. Bimini is right, I am a person who tends to think--or perhaps overthink is a better word--about the behavior of others and its results in the world at large. Frankly, I wish I could stop; I try to sometimes, but, as I said, that's not the way I'm wired so it's tough for me. I'm working on it, though.

It's very plain for me to see that being oblivious to or unconcerned about such things makes for a more carefree existence. The people whose loutish behavior daily drives me to distraction don't appear to have a care in the world. In a way, I envy them, too--what a pleasant life it must be, just going around all "la-la-la" without a moment's thought for anyone else or anything but one's own immediate desires. What I tell myself, when subjected to them, is 1) that they might very well have very real struggles that I know nothing about, and 2) life is too short to spend much time worrying about things I can't change, and other people's behavior definitely falls into that category. For weirdos like me, that's about the best we can do. smile.png