Fly Tying
Piker20

Can't remove shower seat. Argghhh

Struggling to remove a shower seat. There is a screw behind the white plastic bit and removing this to access screw has stumped me.

I've tried knocking out the hinge pin, wacking it, pulling it. There are no more screws or pins to remove.

Any ideas, the plastic bit must have gone on after it was screwed to wall so must come off again somehow to access screw.

post-42518-0-79142900-1526137057_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming you aren't trying to save it, why not just use a sawzall with a flush cut blade to cut the bolt between the two parts? Or break the top with a hammer around the bolt or cut it with an angle grinder.

I don't see the white plastic bit, but if it is a screw cover (common in stuff of this type) they usually are snap in and are removed by inserting a tool (screwdriver or chisel) under the edge and prying, usually causing damage to the cover. I have had some that required adhesive to keep in place.

Other than that, I think Vicente's ideas valid. (note, if trying to remove the entire thing from the wall, you may find some sort of adhesive was used there too)

A bit of WD40, time and a bigger hammer got the hinge pin out and the white plastic (right hand of pic, dirty white plastic bit) came away. Jobs a good un.

You need a bigger hammer...it’s plastic!

And I don’t even know what a shower seat is?

I always thought that you had to stand up in a shower until my Dad turned 85 then I found out what a shower seat was.lol I also found out about a lot of other stuff like grab bars etc. If I live that long I'll be ready to install my own stuff if I still remember what it's for.

Les

You need a bigger hammer...it’s plastic!

And I don’t even know what a shower seat is?

The plastic piece was in the metal bracket and the hinge pin wasn't shifting, as I say WD40, cup of tea later , a bigger hammer a and sorted.

The seat was inherited with the house but not what we wanted to keep.

Good job. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Or a bigger hammer!

Haha, my thoughts exactly