Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TroutRuleBassDrool

Polar Aire Clouser

Sorry about the quality of the picture, I had just finished a Coca-Cola, so i was pretty jumpy. The fact that I couldn't get the lighting right kind of messed up the picture, but i hope you can still salvage a viable image.

I got the idea of using synthetics from Pujic's Clouser Minnow... I can't even come close!

This is one of my first flies (maybe number 50), so I'm still getting used to things. Criticism is welcome.

Tight Lines! TRBD

I'll second Mark's suggstion, and raise him a "sparser still".

While a fully tied Clouser looks inpressive in the vice to the fisherman, it's effectiveness is its ability to almost, but not quite, disappear in the water. Bob Clouser jokes that if he tried to sell the minnow in his shop as sparse as he prefers them, no one would buy them.

My personal preferences on Clousers for smallies -

Belly - Half the diameter of a #2 pencil, tops. Spiral wrap to the shank all the way back to the hook point and then forward again.

Flash - 3 - 4 strands, doubled over, at most. Extending slighlty past the ends of the belly/back is good too.

Wing/Back - No more than half again as big as the belly section.

Jason

Also for a true clouser the eye should be tied in the middle of the shank, this way it won't swim like a jig but a minnow the way it was intended..

I like it! My go-to Clouser is Chartreuse over White Polar Aire with Rainbow Polar in the middle for flash. I tie it eyes-forward like yours and about 3" long. I've caught everything available on this streamer in different lengths, and a big Pike on one that was 4" long.