Fly Tying
TheThrill02

Places to find Good Bucktail?

Hello everyone. I was wondering if there are any online places that provide buck tail with consistent quality. I don't have any fly shops close to me, and I want to tie some good flies with buck tail. Thanks for any input :D

Welcome to the forum.

Hit up Forgotten Coast Fly company for some great tails and at a good price. I buy 90% of my tails from him, and the only reason it's not 100% is if he doesn't have a specific color at the time. E-mail him through his website

http://www.muskycountryoutfitters.com/Primo-Tail.aspx

Brad Bohen runs Musky Country Outfitters in Wisconsin -- he specializes in large predator flies that call for the best quality bucktail. He buys the stuff in huge quantities and grades it for the best of the best. Give him a call; he's a great guy.

I would look into Whitetail Fly tying. It used to be Chris Helm's business and had some of the best hair around. If the new people run it like he did, that would be where I would look first.

I'm not trying to be facetious ... but is there such a thing as "bad" bucktail?

I've experienced some bad body or belly hair ... too short or too brittle to flare without breaking. But the three different color bucktails I have, were all picked up at sales or club events ... and they all seem to be good quality.

No, there is no such thing as bad bucktail, if your a doe.

Sorry, getting a little loopy, long day.

No, there is no such thing as bad bucktail, if your a doe.

Sorry, getting a little loopy, long day.

Now that you started it. Get buck tail here:

35686380566_0ea8b31675.jpg

I'm not trying to be facetious ... but is there such a thing as "bad" bucktail?

I've experienced some bad body or belly hair ... too short or too brittle to flare without breaking. But the three different color bucktails I have, were all picked up at sales or club events ... and they all seem to be good quality.

When it comes to bucktail, I'm kinda a noob. It could very well be that I'm just bad at working with the stuff.

Thanks for all the input everyone! Sounds like there is some pretty good places to get buck tail, and that I need to work on getting better with the stuff itself!

Bucktail is pretty much bucktail and there's not a huge swing in bucktail quality. I buy bucktails from many different places and have not really got a "bad" bucktail. Sometimes it's difficult to find bucktails with good length for larger flies but other then length you can pretty much get good bucktail anywhere.

There are adequate bucktails and really great bucktails. I think northern whitetail are the best and would check out those places in the north recommended. Also, remember that the fur down close to the buck's butt is going to flare a lot more than that up the tail a ways. Best streamers will be up in the top top 2/3 rds of the tail.

Vicrider, I prefer Florida whitetail for just the reasons you mentioned. I can use the hair nearly at the base without it flaring as opposed to the northern ones where, like you said, you ned to stick with the upper 2/3. The hair is a bit shorter, maybe 2-4 inches long as opposed to up to 6 inches, but I have not found many uses for 6 inch buck tail, and I'm a saltwater tyer. I always figured the lack of flaring was that due to the warm climates the Florida deer did not have as much hollow hair near the base but that is purely a guess and probably wrong.