Fly Tying
McFlyLures

Whiting hackles

Ask your local flyshops if they would start carrying Whiting. Sometimes that is all you have to do. If they won't, ask if they can get them.

Ask your local flyshops if they would start carrying Whiting. Sometimes that is all you have to do. If they won't, ask if they can get them.

One said no, the other said they can order a cape for me, but I have to pre pay it, and if I dont like it, too bad. Lol. No returns or denying the cape. Basically its mine no matter how bad it is...

One said no, the other said they can order a cape for me, but I have to pre pay it, and if I dont like it, too bad. Lol. No returns or denying the cape. Basically its mine no matter how bad it is...

I think you should be seeing now why Fly Fish Food's flash hackle is so popular. All of this hassle, gone.

I think you should be seeing now why Fly Fish Food's flash hackle is so popular. All of this hassle, gone.

Still not gonna work for me. Cant afford it...

I didn't mean to imply it's what you should do now. Sorry if you took it that way. I was merely pointing out that your experience is why it is popular. No struggle, no guess work. You know what you're getting even though you can't visually inspect the hackle before you buy it. It's the same way (on a much cheaper scale) with deer hair. I pay a little more per bag to get it from Pat Cohen, but I know without a doubt that I'm getting top grade deer hair. You can get tempted by a cheaper price tag somewhere else, but I've bought bags with largely unusable hair. That doesn't happen buying through Pat.

My biggest fear for you in this hackle purchase is that you're going to get a cape that doesn't work for the purposes that you're buying it. It won't be unusable, but if you need size 18-20 and the vast majority of the cape isn't that size, you've spent $45 on a cape that doesn't do what you needed from it.

Many great flies were tied by thousands of tyers back before genetic hackle. You guys are splitting hairs. Get the color and size you want, and buy what you are comfortable paying for. Whatever you get, you will be tying with better materials than all the tying legends used 40 years ago.

I didn't mean to imply it's what you should do now. Sorry if you took it that way. I was merely pointing out that your experience is why it is popular. No struggle, no guess work. You know what you're getting even though you can't visually inspect the hackle before you buy it. It's the same way (on a much cheaper scale) with deer hair. I pay a little more per bag to get it from Pat Cohen, but I know without a doubt that I'm getting top grade deer hair. You can get tempted by a cheaper price tag somewhere else, but I've bought bags with largely unusable hair. That doesn't happen buying through Pat.

My biggest fear for you in this hackle purchase is that you're going to get a cape that doesn't work for the purposes that you're buying it. It won't be unusable, but if you need size 18-20 and the vast majority of the cape isn't that size, you've spent $45 on a cape that doesn't do what you needed from it.

No no, I didnt take it that way dont worry... and I get it, but even so, still could never do it. I just dont get why there arent more places offering whiting online? I mean, a simple phone call to a place asking if they could put together capes what Im looking for seems like the norm, but its not. Instead they want to charge you 50% more just to have good customer service. Something Id do for someone for free when working at the fly shop I worked at before...

winner!

Many great flies were tied by thousands of tyers back before genetic hackle. You guys are splitting hairs. Get the color and size you want, and buy what you are comfortable paying for. Whatever you get, you will be tying with better materials than all the tying legends used 40 years ago.

I have kept some pieces of the best I had 40 years ago just to remind me how great today's #3 stuff is. I have some dun that I bought at a show for about a day's wages that the average tyer today would scrap, and what was then an excellent grizzly neck that I haven't used at all in many years because of short feathers.

Always 2-3 feathers to hackle a dry, if I recall correctly.

Arrived last night. Now, the hackles have good barb density, but the size of the cape are very small. I compared it to a whiting silver and its like 1/2 the size. And the feather length isnt super long. But not terrible length. I am happy with it, I mean for the price, I dont mind a smaller pelt.

Now, on Friday I called PayPal and said I have t receive an order, so they started the guaranty thing. He had 10 days to respond, and on Saturday all of a sudden the tracking showed that it was finally on the way.

So, good prices, decent hackle, kind of small pelt, and horribly slow shipping. Also hate to say it, pretty bad customer service. And I dont think Id ever get the item unless I did the PayPal guaranty thing. It required that PayPal threaten to take his money away, before he drove the order to the post office. So Im not sure Ill buy from him again, but I do think that his stuff is decent quality and he does have good prices. So if your willing to wait a long time to get something, then it might be worth it.

McFly, no offense meant. Just the rusty dubbing noodle reminded me of a certain beardsman, and I thought what would you call a bearded dry fly?

McFly, no offense meant. Just the rusty dubbing noodle reminded me of a certain beardsman, and I thought what would you call a bearded dry fly?

Oh no offense taken, I said huh cause I didnt understand what you meant. Lol. Honestly Im still fuzzy on it. But again, I am running on 6 hours sleep total for all the last 3 nights combined, soooooo....... probably just me. Hava