Fly Tying
McFlyLures

Whiting hackles

Ok guys so I settled on feather emporiums standard whiting capes that are unpackaged. He said that they are bronze to silver grade capes for $45... hoping they work out for me... anyone get his capes before and can tell me if that was a bad or good choice?

When the hackle is on the water and looked up at by a fish, does the shade or color actually show enough to make a difference?

I should think that grizzly or a light dun would nearly disappear against the sky.

I definitely agree with you there, that's why I don't worry too much about hackle color on my dries.

I also agree with thecream, I just don't fish any flies tied with a standard hackle any more, it's more likely a parachute or something without hackle. When I do use flies with upright hackles it's usually a thorax pattern or something like an elk hair caddis. In either case I usually clip the hackle on the underside of the fly. With any of those flies, parachute, thorax, or caddis I usually use a hackle a size or two bigger, it helps float the fly better. Because of that I don't often need tiny sized hackles.

And even then with an EHC, you can sub in CDC and tie a CDC and elk. Or tie them naked with a shuck and tie an X-Caddis. Options, options, options.

Ok guys so I settled on feather emporiums standard whiting capes that are unpackaged. He said that they are bronze to silver grade capes for $45... hoping they work out for me... anyone get his capes before and can tell me if that was a bad or good choice?

Time will tell. You'll have to inspect what you get when it's delivered and see if the gamble paid off. Hopefully it does so you don't have a $45 cape you largely can't use.

Speaking of a can of worms.

Big Ole Red Wigglers.

"Edit"

Earlier this year there was a big brew ha ha regarding Feather Emporium. Hence the reference to a big can of worms. Won't go into it here, over and done.

Please post when you get order and what you think. I am looking my self to save a few bucks and have made note of suppliers others have used on this site.

Don't order yet. There have been problems recently with the Feather Emporium.

https://www.bbb.org/wisconsin/business-reviews/feather-products/the-feather-emporium-in-madison-wi-1000007516/reviews-and-complaints

https://www.bbb.org/wisconsin/business-reviews/feather-products/the-feather-emporium-in-madison-wi-1000007516

http://www.wisflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1523216535

Don't order yet. There have been problems recently with the Feather Emporium.

https://www.bbb.org/wisconsin/business-reviews/feather-products/the-feather-emporium-in-madison-wi-1000007516/reviews-and-complaints

https://www.bbb.org/wisconsin/business-reviews/feather-products/the-feather-emporium-in-madison-wi-1000007516

http://www.wisflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1523216535

Yeah I have seen some bad reviews of his in the past. And Ive ordered a couple things before like the tops of whiting necks, and Ive had one bad experience with him in the past. I know he can be hard to get ahold of. But when I called, he answered right away and said he would pick through what hes got to find one with finer and smaller feathers for me. Seemed nice and urged me to give him a 2nd thought regarding his customer service. So I already ordered since he seemed helpful this time. Oh well, its only $45 if it turns out bad. However I give people the benefit of the doubt usually.

Regarding that one comment on bbb though saying he isnt a dealer of whitings anymore, that makes me nervous. I wonder how old these feathers are. Oh well, hopefully if they are terrible I can return them and he is better about returns now. He seemed very helpful this time around on the phone.

i recently ordered from feather emporium and received my order within 3 days

ill order again soon

i recently ordered from feather emporium and received my order within 3 days

ill order again soon

Yeah, I asked him and he said mine comes Monday... so not bad... maybe he has stepped up his game, and improved his customer service.. I hope so, cause he has some of the best prices/inventory Ive seen...

i ordered some whiting hen capes in blue, red, yellow for salmon flie

i have ordered whiting rooster capes in the past in silver badger, golden badger, speckled badger, cream

all are excellent quality

So, hopefully it comes soon, been trying to call the last few days and no answer and when he does, and I ask for the tracking code he says hes not in the office and will call back later to give it to me... we will see... it was supposed to arrive Monday he said the first day I talked with him. Starting to get nervous that I just lost $45... haha