Fly Tying
Highdesert

Best Tyer Ever?

I want to see if there are some names that I have missed that I should check out. [snip]

Based on your choices, I think you have a LOT more reading to do. Furthermore, keep in mind that the 'best' rating here is almost always going to be inflated by public exposure, so only the 'celebrities' are going to be on the list -- with an inherent bias toward contemporary tiers. I've met several tiers over the years that are as good if not better than McPhail, for example, but none of them have youtube channels. BTW, use the search function to dig up the endless number of threads on 'favorite' tiers.

To be honest, I am not familiar with many of these names listed above. Me being more connected with social media and the saltwater fly tying game, I see different stuff. Maybe not now, but in the future some of the "great tiers" in saltwater fly-tying could be Drew Chicone and Nick Davis. Both relatively young but have made a name for themselves and have their own patterns and business.

And for the record, the best tier in my opinion is Drew Chicone, or at least the one I look up to the most...

"Connected to the saltwater tying game" and you don't mentio either Lefty Kreh or Bob Popovic. ? I like Dave MC as well as Hans W. and I think both Narry Ord Clarke and Tim Flager give the tops in tying vid presentations. The salt water guys have some catching up to do .

SBPATT in my opinion deserves an honorable mention not only for tying a vast array of flys but photography and presentations

I want to see if there are some names that I have missed that I should check out. [snip]

Based on your choices, I think you have a LOT more reading to do. Furthermore, keep in mind that the 'best' rating here is almost always going to be inflated by public exposure, so only the 'celebrities' are going to be on the list -- with an inherent bias toward contemporary tiers. I've met several tiers over the years that are as good if not better than McPhail, for example, but none of them have youtube channels. BTW, use the search function to dig up the endless number of threads on 'favorite' tiers.
There is no "inherit bias" coming from this direction.Ive known McPhail since before there were fly videos on youtube.He used to be a regular around here,especially when the forum was brand new.

I'm mot trying to sound like a jerk or anything.If people think that someone is the best then that is merely a matter of opinion.As to who the absolute best Tier is...whoever first strapped feather and fur to a hook!

Mogup, you're absolutely correct. I should have clarified that I was referring to the younger tiers that not everyone may know about.

Keep the responses coming! Cool learning about this sort of thing.

Love the confidence Mike, there are days when I think I might be the best out there. There are also days when I think I would be better off buying my flies. Also really like the stuff Dron Lee is producing, he has a lot of stuff that I would have never thought of on my own in a million years. I realize there are no Official Fly Tying Rankings but you have to have someone that you consider the best or maybe a top 3. It's OK to disagree, that is usually when you get people to give up their best information. I agree some of the big names are over rated, but they also have a huge advantage when it comes to access to materials and most of them didn't get big just by knowing how to promote themselves. I agree it is a big part but if they tied up bad flies they would be a lot better off making a ton of money working at a marketing agency. Great names, I was looking for some lesser known names to research. Interesting stuff on hand tying, I am going to have to look into that, sounds like it might be something useful if I don't want to bring a Vise and a bunch of materials on a trip.

In the age of social media, we are bound to be drawn to many who self promote well, skill or not aside.

Instead, I have McPhail, Clarke and Andreas Andersson as my favorite three outside of the forum.

Kimo, Cream and SBPatt are my favorite three in the forum.

All in no particular order and knowing that there are many other great tiers in here and out there. These six just make me think often and get ideas.

like i posted above "too many styles of flies to pick the "best" tyer"

tying a fly in hand is merely a process adopted by a handful or so of tyers (some notable) or by someone who want to see if they can do it. it doesnt make you the "best tyer ever"

tying a size 32 royal wulff is attempted by numerous tyers but the outcome is usually a shoddily tyed fly because of the materials being too large for such size hooks. it doesnt make you the "best tyer ever"

tying with natural vs synthetic materials is a personal choice used by may fly tyers but that too doesnt make you the "best tyer ever"

now i'm not saying that Hans Weilenmann is the "best tyer ever", but if you watch his videos he is teaching fly tying techniques and how to tie flies with thrifty and efficient use of materials. he may or may not tie every style/genre of flies but i'm sure he could

so my top tyers in no particular order

Hans Weilenmann

Davie Mcphail

Charlie Craven

Son Tao

Barry Ord Clarke

Umberto Oreglini

there are so many other excellent fly tyers that have made their name known to the fly tying world that they should not be forgotten

just my opinion

like i posted above "too many styles of flies to pick the "best" tyer"

tying a fly in hand is merely a process adopted by a handful or so of tyers (some notable) or by someone who want to see if they can do it. it doesnt make you the "best tyer ever"

tying a size 32 royal wulff is attempted by numerous tyers but the outcome is usually a shoddily tyed fly because of the materials being too large for such size hooks. it doesnt make you the "best tyer ever"

I agree with your first sentence.

That said, I once watched Lee Wullf tie a Royal Wulff in hand on a size 28 hook, while holding a conversation.(I can still remember the conversation.) It was by no means a shoddily tied fly. He was in his 80's at the time. You'd be hard pressed to convince me that anyone was a better tyer. Not saying he was the best, just that there was nobody better (there are many people you could say the same of.)

As much as tying has evolved since I started & continues to evolve, there is no such person that is the "best". Any tyer who achieves any degree of proficiency, should be respected for their level of skill, talent & for whatever styles or type of flies they choose to tie.

I'm in agreement with Norm, and each tyer should stand on their own merits, and not be judged based on what any other tyer chooses to do.

Heck, there are some world class tyers on this site! If compiling a list of those I highly respect and admire their tying, I would put Norm near the top of that list and there are others that would be included who don't make video's or promote themselves! smile.png

I wouldn't exclude anyone, and certainly wouldn't require someone to use 100% natural materials, nor would I put in-hand tying is a necessity. Meghan Boyd used a vise, although she may have started off in-hand. Edwin Rist, who was an excellent tier, given the fact that he stole almost 200 rare bird skins...him, I'd exclude.

I doubt anyone on this or other boards could tie a 28 RW in hand. It's a distinction without meaning. You've made your choice and eliminated 99.9% of all others.

If you can't afford a cheap vise, you can't afford hackle and hooks and dubbing. They can be had for less than the price of an Indian neck.

I doubt anyone on this or other boards could tie a 28 RW in hand. It's a distinction without meaning. You've made your choice and eliminated 99.9% of all others.

That was exactly my point. Someone else made a comment about requiring "the best" to be familiar with modern synthetic materials, which exclude 99% of all tyers over the last 2,000 years. I offered a counter proposal which was just as arbitrary. However, I will stand by my statement that nobody was better than Lee Wulff (while allowing that many were/are his equal.)

So, what good is #28-32 Royal Wulff once it's tied, either in hand or vise or by an African piece-work girl?

I think the audience would be pretty limited.

Stanley Cooper Jr. tied about 2.6 million flies professionally, Joe Humphries said “He was a pioneer. One of the greatest fly tyers in the world today.”

Harry Darbee was considered a great and he may be the single most influential tyer, because his chickens are the base of all that great genetic hackle we love.