Fly Tying
Highdesert

Best Tyer Ever?

colotyer,

I also would put in a vote for Rene Harrop. His videos "Life Cycle of the Mayfly" and "Life Cycle of the Caddis" demonstrate how to imitate mayflies and caddis at different stages of their development. I must admit I'm biased since my largest fish on a dry fly, a 22-inch rainbow from Silver Creek, was caught on one of Rene's creations (a transitional dun).

When you look at all of the criteria that has been randomly tossed out, how can you not, include Carrie Stevens.

When you look at all of the criteria that has been randomly tossed out, how can you not, include Carrie Stevens.

And therein lies the problem with the question posed by this thread.

"When you look at all of the criteria that has been randomly tossed out, how can you not, include (insert name of YOUR favorite)."

While we are inserting names, Selene Dumaine.

She is a tier from Maine who ties Rangley style streamers. Works of art.

I checked out Son Tao's work on his Instagram page, and I must say I'm impressed...

Mike is right though, it's just a matter of who is your favorite. No way to single out one single "greatest tier".

And therein lies the problem with the question posed by this thread.

"When you look at all of the criteria that has been randomly tossed out, how can you not, include (insert name of YOUR favorite)."

Or for that matter, some unknown Chinese lady tying flies commercially for the likes of Umpqua.

Or for that matter, some unknown Chinese lady tying flies commercially for the like of Umpqua.

That made me laugh, there are probably some amazing Fly Tyers overseas who may have never casted a fly. I know speed is not everything but I think it weeds a lot of people out, there are a lot of people who can create something impressive if they have the materials, plenty of time and attempts. Obviously some can do it a lot better and more consistently than others. Even just tying for myself I like to be able to whip up a box of good looking durable flies quickly. I like to know what is possible and it makes me realize how often I spend 2+ minutes on the tail when someone else would be starting on their next fly. If anyone has any good speed videos please post or link them. Craven's 2 minute Parachute Adams and half dozen eggs I find pretty impressive, and it is hard to get me to watch someone tie up eggs.

Another big fan of Davie McPhail. I've learned a lot from watching his YouTube videos, especially about proportions. He always says, "if it doesn't look right, redo it!" and that is absolutely spot on! He's really helped me by using his method of tying materials in evenly along the hook shank to avoid bumpy looking bodies.

Also love his method of dubbing bodies. He uses both hands, wrapping with his right hand and twisting the dubbing noodle with his left hand after each turn. He always gets such a nice , even taper.

like i posted above "too many styles of flies to pick the "best" tyer"

tying a fly in hand is merely a process adopted by a handful or so of tyers (some notable) or by someone who want to see if they can do it. it doesnt make you the "best tyer ever"

tying a size 32 royal wulff is attempted by numerous tyers but the outcome is usually a shoddily tyed fly because of the materials being too large for such size hooks. it doesnt make you the "best tyer ever"

I agree with your first sentence.

That said, I once watched Lee Wullf tie a Royal Wulff in hand on a size 28 hook, while holding a conversation.(I can still remember the conversation.) It was by no means a shoddily tied fly. He was in his 80's at the time. You'd be hard pressed to convince me that anyone was a better tyer. Not saying he was the best, just that there was nobody better (there are many people you could say the same of.)

I agree. I don't see how anyone could forget Lee Wulff. He was the best in my opinion. Who else has a whole series (or style) named after them? I till use the Wulff flies.

Joe

(sorry Joe didnt mean to edit this. Still getting used to the edit button being where the quote button was before I was a moderator!)

I started out with Hooked on Fly Tying VHS series with Dick Talleur, then onto AK Best and, Shane Stalcup tying videos.

I believe that all the tyers named above in this thread are outstanding in there own right.

In my opinion Matt Grobert is the finest tyer I have ever watched from the Youtube Tightline Video Production channel.

I can't believe nobody has yet to mention the hands down best ever. His flies are the only flies I tie on the end of my line. ME! They are not art, they are not pretty, their proportions are all different and nobody has ever hung one in a shadow box but they keep me in fish and they make me happy. Everybody else is a distant second. I will not to any interviews, sorry.

As far useful flies goes ... I AM the best tier I know. I catch more fish on the flies I tie than all the flies tied by other tiers ... period !!!

I can't believe nobody has yet to mention the hands down best ever.

Actually, I DID mention that tier, back on the first page !!!