Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
swampsinger

Trouble with rod

My trusty 5 wt that I've used for my entire fly fishing career {all 3 yrs}, is giving me trouble lately and seems to getting worse. The ferrules come apart regularly. Is there a quick fix for this? I suppose I could just super glue and make it into a two or one piece.

maybe some rosin for a violin bow would work to keep it together while still allowing you to break it down.

Try rubbing with a candle before assembly, it works for glass rods. I keep a birthday cake candle in my vest. Some rod manufacturers suggest this (paraffin) and Orvis, at least sells a ferule wax.

On the old metal ferrules, I used a blade of grass to take the slop out of worn pieces.

I had a two piece rod that would slip apart. I ended up breaking that rod in due time ( by accident) and the replacement rod for it was one where you couldn't get the two pieces apart, it would always stick. Both were graphite rods in iM6 graphite fwiw. In both cases I used periodic applications of dubbing wax and that seemed to work fine.

The problem you are mentioning is due to wear on the ferrules. Many pros and cons about using any lubricant on the ferrules, but IMO, it would help extend the life of your rod by rubbing candle wax on the male ferrule. Just a slight rub on the ferrule then remove any excess wax, for it will increase the pickup of debris.

The wax also allows for easier assembly of your rod, but you have to keep them clean. Checking your rod once a hour while fishing is also a good idea, for some ferrules do work themselves loose during casting.

I would not suggest using anything other than wax, for if you find that using a piece of grass will take up the slip, then the ferrules have already been worn lightly and your rod is nearing the breaking point. I have seen this may times and there is not true fix other than a new rod when the old one breaks.

Do yourself a favour and Please don't super glue it together !

There are also commercial products designed specifically for rods. Graffitolin by LOON is the one I use. Each new rod gets a dose and after any lengthy use -- a season or so -- I clean it all off to remove any residues that accumulates and reapply. The rods stay tight and wear is reduced. I have not had one -- even older rods -- come apart since beginning its use.

Rocco

Try cleaning both male and female ferrules. You may have some sort of build up on them. Then try using paraffin when assembling them. My St. Croix rods came with a small container of paraffin. I don't use it every time because it does build up and needs cleaned. But every 2nd or 3rd time those rods are assembled they get a light dressing.

Like Rocco, I also use a graphite based product designed for rod joints. Can't remember the brand. Application once every season or so. It was originally purchased to fix a loose joint on a new rod but also helps to eliminate sticking joints on other rods. At the time I thought I was being sold "hot dog water" as the free nose oil and candle wax advice was rampant. This stuff works well and the tiny tin I purchased will out last me while protecting my rods from sometimes heavy handed assembly.

Fenwick thought paraffin was important enough that for many years they labeled the rods with "Apply paraffin to ferrule as needed for lubrication". As the inventor of glass to glass ferrules and patent holder for years, they may have known something.

An article here;

https://midcurrent.com/2013/04/30/quick-tip-wax-your-ferrules-to-avoid-broken-fly-rods/

I have used a candle since about 1980 when my first good fly rod got loose while casting and broke at the ferrule, on glass and graphite rods.

As mentioned above cleaning is required, really that should go with out saying whether one uses wax or not; especially if the rod is hauled or stored with out sock and tube, because any debris or dirt that gets in the ferrule will wear it.

If you know of a rod builder near you, you could let him take a look at it; I saved one rod by installing a brass ferrule ring on the female side that prevented further damage, that involved a very slight shortening of the rod to remove the worst damaged bit, iirc.

Periodic checking of tightness while fishing is good policy also, more important if you roll cast a lot, imo.

Wax specially formulated for rods or containing graphite should be fine, I have not used them . Some rod makers supply wax with a new rod, wonder that all don't.

Another product I have not used but saw recommended on another forum last year; http://u-40.com/ferrulelube.html

Cleaning and applying a light coat of paraffin, as others have suggested, should help. During assembly, start the sections at 90 degrees from the final alignment. Rotate 1/4 turn as you push the pieces together.

Modern graphite does not wear like the rods of old and you said it is only 3 yrs old so most likely it was a poor fitting ferule from the factory and is just getting worse. Don't glue it or anything such as that, just do as others have said and use some wax for the time being till you decide to replace the rod with something of better quality.

Here's what I came up with over the years.... As noted by others -first clean off both mating surfaces (use a Q-tip or something similar inside the female ferrule - dip it in alcohol first...). Once they're clean, very lightly coat the male ferrule with beeswax then rub it by hand to heat the beeswax so that it melts a bit due to friction - then carefully, with a clean cloth remove as much of the wax as possible...

Lastly, for a rod joint that wants to work loose here's a tip I believe came from Lefty Kreh many years ago... Assemble that joint straight in but slightly off of alignment. When the two parts are firmly together - then rotate the sections into alignment (so that the joint is assembled like a bayonet coupling. This should solve your problem...

Anglers who use fly gear with me (maybe only 20% of my bookings) find themselves doing a lot more casting than they're used to so one of the things I remind them early on is to check the joints on their rods periodically to make sure nothing has loosened up... A loose joint on a fly rod is an invitation to breakage in my world since a light rod for me is an 8wt... I rarely ever have a joint loosen on any of my own rods since they're two piece rods that are assembled -then never taken apart unless they're headed back for warranty work...

The advice here abut twisting the rod sections into place reminds me of a related, but not germane here, warning about stressing rods the wrong way while fighting hot and large trophy fish.

A guy I new was regularly blowing up his graphite rods on larger GL King Salmon most frequently in the end game They were top end rods too not fly-by-night products.

On one occassion as he fought a big one an old timer/rod maker watched him and later lectured him about turning the rod sideways -- that is,canting the reel off to the right --as he tried to left fish to net. That movement he said not only put too much lateral structural torque on the long fibers in the rod but also moved stresses from the somewhat stronger spine of the rod to weaker areas and that load transfer also weakened the core of the rod. With that in mind, from then on, way fewer rod breakages.

Rocco

Two of my rods are customs from Midwest Custom Fly Rods.

All the rest of them are inexpensive combos.

All of them, at one time or another, have loosened during a long day on the water.

What I have noticed, the more flex the rod has, the more often I find myself re-seating the sections.

If I am paying attention to my casts, I can usually tell when a section is loosening. The casting "action" just feels off.

Not always ... as I've thrown sections into the water during casting. Usually, I remember to check the fittings once in a while.