Fly Tying
Old Hat

Boca Surf

Now is a good time to hit the beach snook. Just make sure it's a calm day and the conditions are suitable for sight-fishing. If not, then do some research on Google Maps and look for some canal/inland spots. Although not as common as in Miami, there are peacock bass in Boca and you have a pretty decent chance of getting into some if you look in the right places. Also, I recommend stopping by Ole Florida Fly Shop. They should be able to hit you up and the local knowledge is indispensable.

How long are you staying for?

No need for sight fishing beach snook! Just cast parallel to the beach right in close, and make fan casts out to deepwer water to pick up some other species that may be cruising the beach!

Red Reef Park for fishing in the surf, better early and late in the day. Probably easier with conventional tackle (people walking behind you on the beaches down here). 8-10wt, sinking line to get under the surf and glass minnow imitations.

For something a little different, if you want to try for monsters, go to Spillway Park. No fly zone, though. When the spillway is open people toss big chunks or a whole mullet for huge fish.

Good luck!

Thanks guys!

I was thinking it should be better than up here in Daytona area. We don’t have much structure to speak of in the shallows on the beach.

Didn’t think of peacock bass, wasn’t sure if they were up that far. I would definitely like to target some of them.

I will be in Boca for just 3 days with lots of time on my hands. My son is starting school at FAU this fall. We are there for orientation. Well he is, I’m fishing.

The area is not known for saltwater fly fishing opportunities on foot. A boat would open many other possibilities on that front.

Best fly fishing bet is freshwater. If you can drive, I would suggest three places for you, closest to farthest.

Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge: canoe rentals on the Headquarters entrance, canoe trail, not a freaking shade. I am not familiar with the Hillsboro entrance, closest to Boca. Don’t think they rent canoes there, but...

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/arm_loxahatchee/

McArthur Park: this is the closest decent wading opportunity I know of. It’s a brackish lagoon with access from the parking lot. Have not been in a long time, but I have caught snook, redfish and seatrout in the past. And some pretty decent jacks.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/MacArthur-Beach

Riverbend Park in Jupiter: a little further north, but totally worth it for the scenic canoe trail on the Loxahatchee River. Not busy during the week, but still not a whole lot of room to maneuver a fly rod, unless you go all the way to Jonathan Dickinson Park, where the river is wider and saltier.

http://discover.pbcgov.org/parks/Locations/Riverbend.aspx

https://www.paddleflorida.net/loxahatchee-river-paddle.htm

Hopefully others can give you closer options. I just don’t go south from where I live that much.

I'm not too familiar with fly fishing the surf, but Lake Ida and it's canals are full of peacock. You'd be right there close. The Lake Ida west park has one good bank fishing spot, as well as a stretch of canal on Davis Road. I was there 2 weeks ago and had no problem catching a few.

For peacock flies, I pretty much only throw 2 patterns. Any kind of brightly colored clouser in #2-4, and then the same-size fly with marabou/finn for the tail, ep brush for the body, and then eyes. Could also try baitfish patterns but I prefer something that sinks and darts in the water.

Lake Ida is a well-known body of water for peacocks, but especially Clown Knifefish. If by some chance you caught one of those, you can bet I will be pestering you with non-stop questions! I've never even seen one...