Fly Tying

Ready to deck out my truck with some decals. Mostly interested in fishing decals but hunting ones are on the agenda too. What artists in flyfishing/tying do yall like that makes decals? Links are appreciated.

There are some really nice decals out there. I won't apply them to my car or truck.

Reason being, I am parked along some back road advertising what may be in the vehicle. Now most know fly fishing gear can be worth a few bucks. Why advertise to a potential thief?

I have heard of guides leaving there vehicles unlocked. Thier gear may be gone but they still have their windows.

There are some really nice decals out there. I won't apply them to my car or truck.

Reason being, I am parked along some back road advertising what may be in the vehicle. Now most know fly fishing gear can be worth a few bucks. Why advertise to a potential thief?

I have heard of guides leaving there vehicles unlocked. Thier gear may be gone but they still have their windows.

this. Plus you're advertising your secret fishing spot at the same time.

yup, nothing says "please break into my vehicle and steal my expensive fly fishing gear" like adorning it as a rolling billboard with advertising

Unlike the paranoid masses above ... I don't think stickers on your truck are going to make it MORE attractive to thievery. It's not like your stickers are throwing light into the sky ... directing thieves from the city to come out to where ever you happen to be parked.

If they happen upon your vehicle ... they'll break in, regardless of the "sticker appeal" or lack thereof.

Simply put ... leave everything in plain sight, and don't have anything in there worth stealing. If you don't need it for the trip you're on, don't put it in the vehicle to begin with.

That said, I don't advertise for anybody. If I get a sticker with a reel or rod, I might stick it on something at home, but I'm not putting it on my vehicle. They didn't pay me to advertise for them ... I'm not doing it.

I don't know where to get them, nor how much they go for. But I've always been a fan of pictures of fish. Nice, large, color pictures of fish. If I find some, I'm putting them on my van.

DNR officers I our area have stated a large percentage of break ins along the rivers are the vehicles with fly fishing advertisement (stickers).

Whether they were fishing or not.

Tons on eBay , that's where I found the only one I have on my truck . It's only on there because I found it funny and only fly fishers would understand it .

post-60201-0-27412000-1532353377_thumb.jpg

DNR officers I our area have stated a large percentage of break ins along the rivers are the vehicles with fly fishing advertisement (stickers).

Whether they were fishing or not.

Are a large number of the vehicles parked there sporting the advertisements? Kind of a bogus statistic if, say 90% of the vehicles have stickers and out of a dozen break ins, 7 of them had stickers.

I'm not doubting you, rstaight ... just that statistics can be "bent" any way you want.

Since the only vehicle I've had burglarized was a rental with NO identifying marks and all my own vehicles have fishing stickers on them (no adverts, but fishing related) ... well, you see my angle.

Tons on eBay , that's where I found the only one I have on my truck . It's only on there because I found it funny and only fly fishers would understand it .

attachicon.gif20180723_064617.jpg

Hahaha. I wouldn't have understood it a few years ago, before I joined this forum. That's pretty good.

Mike,

First I did not throw out a percentage. This is from the DNR officers saying a large number of people advertising what can possibly be in the vehicle.

Decals are like tattoos to me, a little one in a not so prominent place is okay. Two is a crowd. I don't adorn my vehicles with stickers but maybe just a little silhouette of a fly in the corner would be sufficient. I'm with Mike, I don't advertise for others on my truck or clothing and I don't broadcast anything about me to those who don't know me so what do I know.

I do know a little about thieves. The fact that vehicles broken into while parked in fishing lots and pull offs may have fishing stickers on them is not indicative of thieves shopping for fishing gear. It simply means that a lot people parking in fishing lots and pull offs have fishing stickers on their vehicles. Regardless of how expensive fishing gear is it is Worth pennies on the dollar on the thief market. They are breaking into these cars because they are secluded and anglers like to leave their wallets, money, credit cards, cell phones and other valuables in the car when they fish. Much like people who leave their valuables in the car when they go to the gym for their workouts. With a fishing rod their is an added step needed before you can turn that rod into a bag of dope. A fishing rod would be nothing more then a consolation prize for most money grubbing thieves.

Somebody on this site was starting a start up decal business. Who the heck was that'd did they ever start?

Mike,

First I did not throw out a percentage. This is from the DNR officers saying a large number of people advertising what can possibly be in the vehicle.

Hence, this statement in my reply ...

"I'm not doubting you, rstaight ... just that statistics can be "bent" any way you want." I guess I should have written "... DNR's statistics ...".

smile.png