Fly Tying

Hi folks, new comer here, but I will add my comments if that is alright.

I would say that the tackle would determine the answer to that question.

If you catch a 5# bass on a tuna rod, not much there, but catch a 5# bass

on a 2 weight, and you might get a big smile out of it.

My self, I prefer blue gill on a 2 weight or a steelhead on an 8 weight.

but the fight in the fish is the same a 500 pound tuna is going to fight so hard you aren't going to land it on a regular rod, 5 pound bass wouldn't much fun on the same rod bit it's fighting just as hard as if it were on a 2 wt.

Hi folks, new comer here, but I will add my comments if that is alright.

I would say that the tackle would determine the answer to that question.

If you catch a 5# bass on a tuna rod, not much there, but catch a 5# bass

on a 2 weight, and you might get a big smile out of it.

My self, I prefer blue gill on a 2 weight or a steelhead on an 8 weight.

but the fight in the fish is the same a 500 pound tuna is going to fight so hard you aren't going to land it on a regular rod, 5 pound bass wouldn't much fun on the same rod bit it's fighting just as hard as if it were on a 2 wt.

Well, that is a valid point, but my perception is on my end of the rod. As far as the fish goes, the only thing I can use to measure

is my experience, and that would call for a Steelhead.

I've been thinking about this. Based more on fishing spinning tackle, I'd say carp. I've only hooked two on the fly rod and both had me thinking monster bass before they broke me off and I got a glimpse of what I'd hooked. Otherwise, smallmouth and large sunfish on either a 5 wgt or a 6 wgt.

Bluegill and other sunfish. Ounce for ounce, the hardest fighting fish in the world.:D

I don't know the other fish you mention ... and will likely never see them, so I'm sticking with my answer.;)

This

I'm new to this forum and fly fishing, but thought I'd chime in....

My favorite are smallmouth on the 5wt. That's what really got me hooked on fly fishing, and kept me going out every night to the ponds.

Pound for pound, I'd have to agree with mikechell. But that is really hard to call if you've ever fought a carp or a pike on a fly rod.

The "hardest fighting fish"? Probably a Bluegill.

The "Hardest fish to fight"? A Sturgeon.

Once you scale the tackle to the size of the game fish you get the max fight and the most fun. That done its pretty much a wash for me except that steel head in fast current provide all the challenge I will ever need.

Rocco

It's a tough one. Bluegills use that flat body to outperform their size. Smallmouth not only fight hard but often give you thrill of wild jumps. Wipers again put their all into the fight but never jump. Since this thread called for the hardest fighting fish it's impossible not to bring size into it. A two pound bluegill will put up a heck of a fight but a 20# northern or 40# musky will test tackle like no smaller fish is able to. For me, I have to bring into the game factors such as their jumping habits, speed of runs, sheer power in currents, and I have to go with the steelhead. Even though I've never caught them over 15# in waters of the Great Lakes they are by far the most fun of any fish I've ever caught. Big chinooks, caught in current on fly rods, just don't compare with the excitement of a steelhead on the line. Fight to me is similar to a big carp, both of which I've caught 20#s plus. We once hit a fresh run of cohos in a Michigan stream and they didn't jump much but had speed runs to match any other fish I've ever hooked. With an average around 12#s you'd set the hook and it was a mad run for the lake and you weren't going to land one without a chase.

Okay, I love the fight of any fish and the flavor of most on the table, but to pick one for me it has to go to the steelhead.

I also agree with Mike. If Bluegills and other of the sunfish family members got to be 10 lbs or more, they're pull you in the water. smile.png