Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Bully Bluegill

The bully bluegill fly seems too simple to catch fish. However that is far from the case. This fly catches fish, and catches them well. In fact, it could be considered one of the best panfish flies out there. It is effective on other fish as well. I have caught bass, catfish and panfish on it. I can imagine you could catch trout and even some saltwater fish as well with the fly. Just the way it sinks is super enticing to panfish, and other species as well.

I went out to fish the Guadelupe River just north of San Antonio Texas a short time ago. And this fly was the clear winner of the trip. I caught a 15-16" catfish on it, a bass and quite a few bluegill. The best thing was, I could tie 30-40 of them in an hour, so filling a box was easy.
For the hook, I am actually using a dry fly hook because the wire is finer and it gives much easier penetration. But a regular 2x long nymph hook would work as well. Especially if you worry about the hook bending.

Hook: Daiichi 1280 in size 14
Weight: .010 Lead wire
Thread: White Veevus 6/0
Body: Chartreuse Micro Ultra Chenille
Legs: Fine Round Rubber Legs
UV Resin: Solarez Ultra Thin

This is probably the best tutorial I've seen for this fly! Great job!

Gonna have to tie up some of these.

Thanks islander! They are effective for sure, and quick. Quick is my favorite part. I tied up like 40 of them in an hour before my last trip. Haha