Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

cb radio

Used to use them all the time, before the advent of 4-5G Networks & smartphones/tablets. FRS Radios are more versatile these days for multi-car road trips. (Yes, I avoided using the CB catchphrase... LOL)

I still have the whole schmear in a box, hidden somewhere in the Garage. Realistic brand (RS house brand).

Lots of Truck Stops still sell them; Cobra is still the cream of the crop.

:)

im not sure how you connect with a trucker or anybody else you dont know out on a highway using cell phone networks?

how do you connect without knowing a number?

how do you connect without knowing a number?

Run 'em off the road, then get their number while exchanging insurance info?

I was a kid when that craze hit. I think there was even a hit song... Anyways, I begged my dad to get one. He refused. Thank you, dad.

When living up in Finland MN the CB craze hit about the same time as the conversion vans becoming the things to have. It was also the time the song "Convoy" became a horrible to listen to hit. One of the local Finlanders came in to the bar drunk and stuck a couple of quarters in the juke box. Convoy played and we tolerated it. Convoy came on again and we all turned to Leslie Ahlbeck and said, "Did you play that twice?" He grinned his drunken grin and said, "Played it six times". 3 plays for a quarter back then. Now you need a credit card to play them. Anyway, halfway through the second play someone went over and unplugged the machine, which cleared the memory. We told Leslie if he went near the jukebox the rest of the night he was out on his ass. He got mad and left in his conversion van probably crying over the CB over the bad treatment he'd had.

As for me, I a Ham Radio license and lived on the Air Base hill outside of Finland. I could turn my directional antenna most anywhere, hook in my 10 meter amplifier and talk with CB to several different states without skip playing into the game. It was when there was an inversion that skip would let you talk to a guy in CA but couldn't hear your neighbor. Radio waves can do funny things.