Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
daniel1979

Vice advice needed.

The time has come to upgrade my vice and i've more or less made my mind up and narrowed it down to two, the Dyna King Squire and the HMH Spartan.

Do any of you own of these vices and have any comments that may prove useful in helping me in my decision?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I just upgraded myself, after looking at several and reading every bit of info I could find I wound up buying a Renzetti Traveler. All I can say is WOW what a vise.Sorry I couldnt really answer your question. But I didnt want you to rule out a Traveler. Whatever you do dont buy without tying on what you have in mind first.

DCM headbang.gif

Hi Daniel,

I have both vises and they are great for their mid-price range. If in line rotary is your goal take a good look a the Dyna-King Barracuda Junior Trekker or the Griffin Mongoose or Mongoose Cam. I have both of them as well and they are a good value. In the less than $100.00 range the Danvise and the Grififins spider are fine including several of the "knock off" imports. Good luck in your quest. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Daniel,

I have the HMH Pro model, which essentially is the same as the Spartan. You can't do much better than an HMH. One big advantage to the HMH is that if you ever tie tube flies, the HMH converts to a tube vise in seconds.

I'm not all that impressed with "true rotary" vises so I won't comment on that suggestion, but I will say that IMHO, both of the vises you are considering are superior to a Renzetti.

well, what do ya plan on tying?

I got a renzetti traveler that i enjoy tying midsized to small trout flies on. But if I was into saltwater or bassin', i'd prolly go with the HMH. i've tied on the Spartan, Standard, Pro, and Exhibition(didn't they come out with a newer entry level vise this year?) a LOT and can say that their hook holding power is amazing, changing jaws is simple, quick, and effortless, and are built like tanks.

steve

I looked into the HMH when I decided it was time to upgrade. I guess I'm a Dyna-King fanatic since I now own two of them, just not one you mentioned. I have a Kingfisher and the Voyager 2 and love both of them. I use the Kingfisher to travel and main tying is accomplished with the Voyager 2.

Mike