Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
J-Kno

Macular Degeneration and fly fishing?

If you know someone that's losing their vision or is already blind - with the right fishing guide you can still get out on the water and succeed...

A few years back I fished a totally blind fly angler who wanted to catch his first tarpon on fly and I had a lot of misgivings about taking that charter - but we did succeed. We did a night trip in Biscayne Bay right between Miami and Miami Beach where small (20 to 40lb tarpon) gather each night and hold under bridges on a falling tide. He stuck a fair number and actually got three to the skiff on an 8 and a 9wt.. My biggest concern was his ability to stand up in the skiff - so I had him stand in the foredeck area (not on the casting platform) right at my shoulder so I could add support when needed. At first we struggled as I tried to be his eyes as fish moved in front of us while we were holding back in the shadows but it was very difficult to get the timing and distance right... I finally had him just start false casting with the correct amount of line out the moment I could see fish coming down the shadow line - then when they "in the zone" had him lay down the fly and start stripping... Worked like a charm - the only thing missing was his ability to see the wild jumps that every tarpon makes when hooked...

I've had fly anglers fishing out of a wheelchair and one totally blind angler as well as more than a few physically challenged anglers aboard my 17' skiff - and I'd be glad to do it again - any time.... Hope I'm still willing to get out there as I get older (I'm 70 now and some of my anglers are a lot older than me....).

Guys,

I can't thank you enough for your help in understanding what MD is and the various ways to help. I truly appreciate you taking the time to reply.I'm going to buy several of the devices and have him test them out. If nothing else, I really don't mind tying bugs on for him, but do not want him to feel like he is putting me out by doing so. I look forward to having someone to fish with.

You could tie up several flies on tippet material with the perfection loop on the other end. Then all he'd need to to would be to pull another tippet through the leader's loop ... the fly would already be on the tippet.

@mikechell That's outside of the box! That would do just fine and he can either do a loop to loop and/or favorite knot to it...

@chugbug27 those foam winders of something like this:

post-50671-0-42186400-1536428517_thumb.png

I have pre-tied flies on tippets before. Used a perfection loop for the tippet to leader connection.

I did this with size 22 and smaller but have been considering doing this with larger flies.

I suffer from familial tremors, some days are better than others. It gets worse with age.

It amazes the wife that I can manage the small flies I tie, 16, 18, and 20. That's why one of the criteria I use when selecting a vise is how well I can place my hands on it applying materials. I grasp or rest my hand on it to steady the tremor.

Pre-tying tippets to flies absolutely helps save the day.

chugbug, have you used (or seen up close) those foam snell holders? they (and Mike's idea) could save me hours of fumbling with Knots while attempting to catch sbm at night.I wonder how thick and how rigid they are

I made them 2 to 3 feet. If I wanted to try something larger I still had enough to tie on with.

Nice thing about it, you use what fits your needs.

Next ?, several 2-3' snelled flies must present a problem of how to carry and keep sorted, what works best?

I can think of a few ways to do this, but, all have drawbacks.

I coil them up like a leader and put them in the bags that leaders come in. Wasn't a problem with the size of flies I was using at the time.

I was just wondering how well a Sucrets box would work.

chugbug, have you used (or seen up close) those foam snell holders? they (and Mike's idea) could save me hours of fumbling with Knots while attempting to catch sbm at night.I wonder how thick and how rigid they are

@tjm, I have one and use it mostly for winter fishing, where I use a bwo/ rising midge pupa dry dropper, that sort of thing. Just the two flies - the dry hooked at the edge and the dropper wrapped around and hooked in where it falls. It handles those well. When it's not too cold I leave it home and tie the dry dropper / other combos as I use them.

It would work well for night fishing and with the perfection loop pre-tie, but it has limitations. Small flies work much better than big flies. Also it's useful only for a limited number of flies, maybe six sets of flies per foam card. You've also got to have room in your vest to pack it, though I suppose you could figure a way to hang it off a vest toggle.

I'm thinking door hanger foam (cut like a playing card-with a slit to hold the loop knot) and Altoids boxes. My night SMB fishing might be streamers or hair bug type stuff, often I put the wrong thing on first and spend much time trying to tie another on with a light in my hand. I am thinking this idea might make a quick change of menu easier. wind leader on foam card and keep in box ready to use, box should hold a couple rigs.

I don't like the exposed rigs inherent in the Marriott's foam and the candy boxes fit a shirt pocket.

The Marriott's foam is basically the same as what you're talking about, and yes the exposed flies are one of it's downsides. I like your solution better than the one I've done.