Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Bonsai Hobbit Hole

Being OCD can be a blessing as well as a curse. While I enjoy creating things to the best detail I can, it would actually be nice to just sit and do nothing sometime perhaps lol. Been working on this for a bit of time here & there in between waiting for customer rods to dry and such. Probably got about 20hrs into it over the past week total.

This is my Bonsai tree "Bag Ends" Hobbit Hole from Lord of The Rings. I had a couple ficus bonsai trees which I wanted to do something "different" with so decided the make this. It's all hand made, mostly out of hand carved foam, 1/4" wood, cut and varnished toothpicks, wire, the steps and chimney are carved foam, windows are water bottle caps painted, covered with cut toothpicks and varnished, rocks are hand made with quickrete, basically didn't want to buy anything store bought so made it all myself. Came out pretty neat looking and since the trees are Ficus I'll be able to keep it inside most the time in the office/shop to enjoy rather than outside with the rest of my bonsai trees.

C8uj1q.jpg
fLo8Dq.jpg
pPvRo4.jpg
FgkbON.jpg
sLvPqc.jpg
rFZZ2z.jpg
pN5xop.jpg
RMilKx.jpg
daA0XU.jpg
tn1r9j.jpg
SdsgJh.jpg
voMyl6.jpg
J16UU5.jpg
uHOiiF.jpg

Amazing work !

I can't tell you how impressed I am with the Bonsai skills you've developed. Putting the scene together is a fascinating step.

Well done, Steve !!!

Thanks Mike. I'm just happy I finally found a "good" use for that one Ficus tree on the left. I've had that tree for 5 years and when I got it whoever grew it originally must have grown it up against something because the side of it was very flat. So it was always hard to try to do much with. I even trunk chopped it down to nothing but a 3" tall trunk about 3 years ago and still just never could get it to look right as a main focal display tree. So I think using it this way finally works well for it. And even found a good use for the Mugo Pine (bare tree on the right) which died on me this summer lol. The bare mugo adds a bit of "scary tree" look to it :)