Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

RC Clod Buster project

Not sure you can get redneck beer belly dolls though can you?

laugh.png Your next project, Steve. Make a G.I. Joe doll look like Larry the Cable Guy!

67XNqA.jpg
wzmAg2.jpg
zMtN7b.jpg
Hzn8Q5.jpg

Working on making my adjustable reinforced link mounts today. Got one side done, still have to do the other. Once these are done then it's just a few more things to do on the scale interior, add some battery mounts, and then I can strip it down again and do the color on the chassis. Originally planned to paint/clear coat it but sent an email for a quote for powder coating. Haven't heard back yet from the place but hoping it will be somewhat affordable as powder coat would be a lot more durable.

Whattttttttttt? Pay somebody to paint it??? I wonder what it cost since you can buy a do it yourself powder painting gun for less than a hundo.

Wouldn't pay someone to paint it if I just went with an enamel paint, that I would do myself. Powder coating though is what I was saying I emailed for a quote. I looked into buying the stuff myself and it would add up a bit. The powder coat gun system is about $80 at Harbor freight. Then the powder itself is about $7 a can at Harbor freight but they only carry blk/whit/red/yel so to get orange I would have to order that so that would be about $20/$25 shipped. So it'd be up around $100 for the stuff. Then the problem is where to do it. Powder coating needs to be done in a contained area and I have no garage I do all my work out of my basement shop. I have my GTO in my sisters garage so that rules out doing it there as well. Plus it needs to be baked on and I'm not too interested in cooking food in an oven I baked powder coating in laugh.png So if I can find a place to do it for around $75 it would be a lot easier.

I'm with you on that score, Steve. There are things that just aren't worth the trouble and mess of DYI.

On the other hand, if'n you're planning on doing more of these, it might be worth it to purchase for multiple uses.

I'm pretty sure with everything you do you could find many uses for it. RC car frames, brake calipers for the clod buster and GTO, reels, reel seats, yard art and what ever else you can conjure up. I've powder coated plate and bowl stands, plant hangers and other stuff.

Powder coating is not as messy as is being portrayed. In fact it's pretty darn clean and it's super easy to clean up with no noxious odors. I must admit that outside of jig heads all of my powder coating projects were done at a friends shop using a designated powder coating oven or heater. Come to think of it was using his powder paint to.

Maybe it's just me but I would rather buy the tool and always have it available over paying someone who has the tool.

I am a hands on guys so while I agree I'd rather do it myself, it's just not an option. The only place I have to do it is in my basement shop, and with all my decor and aquariums, that's just not an option for me to do it down there.

Heard back from the shop I emailed. This is gonna work out really well. The owner there said he was really interested in doing the job for me on this because he does a lot of car, ATV, boat & snowmobile stuff and has lots of pictures of that type of work on their site but he doesn't have any RC stuff they have done. So he said he'll media blast & powder coat it for me for only $50 so that he can get some pictures of it on their website. That is a fantastic deal right there, should have it ready for him in a couple weeks :)

iMuka1.jpg
CgIGvA.jpg

Been lots of fine tuning to get the suspension to work the way i want but finally today I have it dialed in. Have the shock mounts redone so that the shocks are now at a bit of a canted angle which is giving it a nice smooth movement with a good deal of travel. Also added a second set of hole in the upper link mounts so that the axle housings sit level without the use of spacers on the bars. Added a flat mount in the bottom of the chassis as well which will serve as a lipo battery mount.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.