Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RickZieger

Smal Palmer chenille

Was in Wall Mart today and found small Palmer chenille.

It is a Red Heart product called "scrubby sparkle."

I got white and yellow and left green and pink.

$3.98 for 174 yard/ skeine.

Palmer on a hook with bead chain eyes is a nice minnow pattern.

Rick.

I've been looking at that for a few weeks and did not buy it. I have no idea (without a search) what plamer chenile or estaz are, but this stuff looked like it had potential. Good to know that it works, it can also be seen at Hobby Lobby and Joann. (I'll go look up estaz now)

The scrubby sparkle is one sided, similar to the top piece in Flytire's first pic. Thanks Normand all the pictures of that stuff I found were ball or cards and hard to see any difference.

I don't think it is as densely "barbed" as the Palmer Chenille in the pic. It seems slightly stretchy to me. I think it will look nice with a marabou tail?

this pic is on knitmuch.com

anptmarch6112-172097-o-sa.jpg

Excellent find! I use a TON of estaz in that white/pearl color for my #1 go-to streamer pattern. I see a bulk purchase of Scrubby Sparkle in my future. Thanks RickZieger!

Tried this stuff. Definitely cheap, little bit bulky and gotta make it lay right and not soft. Notice the stuff is holding the fly up off the table unlike sparkle chennile which is much "softer". At 174 yards for $4+\- it'll have uses... ain't crazy about it..

IMG_4784.jpg

IMG_4787.png

I struggled to keep it from twisting and just tightly palmered up the shank it is a dry fly, It needs added weight or eyes. with a marabou tail it looks pretty good in the water but caught no fish for me.

Played with this the last few days. Found that if I streached a piece that I cut off the skein for about 15 seconds it laid on thehook easier for me.

The pieces were about 12 to 14 inches long.

Rick