Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
seanhawk907

Fly Tying Station Build

Not a woodworker myself, but I just read a neat book covering similar ground by Sam Maloof about his approach to woodworking, and life and work and teaching and learning and selling hand made crafts ("Sam Maloof, Woodworker"). I like his attitude. Not a particularly spectacular writer, but a wise person, an accomplished craftsman, and a good read.

Hence the problem with trying to compete with mass purchasing and the production line. I think if you want to attempt to sell them to a fly shop you would have to come in around 50 to 75 bucks so they could sell them for 75 to a 100 bucks. Let's face it, fly shops don't have a large expanse of space to display tying desks selling for double or triple what the average person would pay before deciding to build it themselves. Internet sales would be the best way to find the very few people willing to make a purchase at those prices.

You would never find anyone selling a tying station with walnut or any quality hardwood for $50-$75.... that wouldn't even cover a 1/2 of the material cost. This is the reason I would never put these up for sale, people don't understand the material cost or the labor hours to build one, not to mention all the tools needed to make it a quality piece. It's a good thing this is my hobby lol

Never said you would. I said one would have to come in much cheaper to sell to fly shops, or, saying it another way, use cheaper material. i know walnut to be between 7 and 8 bucks a bf, cherry is around 6, maple around 4 or 5 and hickory, cedar, poplar between. 2 and 4. There's also furniture grade hardwood plywood that could be used on the deck to really cut building costs. A nice piece of void free 7 ply hardwood plywood (150 to 200 per sheet) with hardwood walnut tops could absolutely be made for right around 50 bucks and half that for cheaper woods and cheaper plywood. Not saying yours could be made for that but, a quality piece could still be made for less cost that will appeal to many more buyers. I've been an amateur hobbyist woodworker for many decades. I know full well the cost of wood and the time involved. I also know it's very very difficult to make money off of woodworking projects because your limited to what the majority of people would realistically pay for a tying desk. This is why I'm only an amateur hobbyist woodworker as well. I am a little envious that you have a CNC machine in your shop.

You built a beautiful desk and it's worth every bit of 300 bucks and there are those few who would not bat an eye at that price. My response was more to jcb68's inquiry into the possibility of making them to sell at wholesale prices to fly shops who would have to sell at an attractive retail price with the goal of making a profit. in which case they would have to be quality made at a much cheaper build cost.

Hey Poopdeck,

Absolutely, it would be a tough gig trying to make a full time living off woodworking. I mean come on you can get everything you need at IKEA! jcb68 Just make a couple for your local fly shops and see how it works out. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks!

Not a woodworker myself, but I just read a neat book covering similar ground by Sam Maloof about his approach to woodworking, and life and work and teaching and learning and selling hand made crafts ("Sam Maloof, Woodworker"). I like his attitude. Not a particularly spectacular writer, but a wise person, an accomplished craftsman, and a good read.

chugbug27 Sam Maloof was an amazing wood worker. His joinery techniques are so clever. I actually have an entire bunk go Walnut sitting on my shelf as I will be starting to build one of his rocking chairs using the wood whispers guild plans. A lot of this big name wood workers have very easy crafts (cutting boards), which sell well, that really fund the creative side of the business.

Beautiful work. I like the way you attached the vise. Where did you get the base for it that sits in the rail?

Hi DarrellP,

The base that is attached to the walnut is the one that came with the vise.

Hence the problem with trying to compete with mass purchasing and the production line. I think if you want to attempt to sell them to a fly shop you would have to come in around 50 to 75 bucks so they could sell them for 75 to a 100 bucks. Let's face it, fly shops don't have a large expanse of space to display tying desks selling for double or triple what the average person would pay before deciding to build it themselves. Internet sales would be the best way to find the very few people willing to make a purchase at those prices.

You would never find anyone selling a tying station with walnut or any quality hardwood for $50-$75.... that wouldn't even cover a 1/2 of the material cost. This is the reason I would never put these up for sale, people don't understand the material cost or the labor hours to build one, not to mention all the tools needed to make it a quality piece. It's a good thing this is my hobby lol

Never said you would. I said one would have to come in much cheaper to sell to fly shops, or, saying it another way, use cheaper material. i know walnut to be between 7 and 8 bucks a bf, cherry is around 6, maple around 4 or 5 and hickory, cedar, poplar between. 2 and 4. There's also furniture grade hardwood plywood that could be used on the deck to really cut building costs. A nice piece of void free 7 ply hardwood plywood (150 to 200 per sheet) with hardwood walnut tops could absolutely be made for right around 50 bucks and half that for cheaper woods and cheaper plywood. Not saying yours could be made for that but, a quality piece could still be made for less cost that will appeal to many more buyers. I've been an amateur hobbyist woodworker for many decades. I know full well the cost of wood and the time involved. I also know it's very very difficult to make money off of woodworking projects because your limited to what the majority of people would realistically pay for a tying desk. This is why I'm only an amateur hobbyist woodworker as well. I am a little envious that you have a CNC machine in your shop.

You built a beautiful desk and it's worth every bit of 300 bucks and there are those few who would not bat an eye at that price. My response was more to jcb68's inquiry into the possibility of making them to sell at wholesale prices to fly shops who would have to sell at an attractive retail price with the goal of making a profit. in which case they would have to be quality made at a much cheaper build cost.

Hey Poopdeck,

Absolutely, it would be a tough gig trying to make a full time living off woodworking. I mean come on you can get everything you need at IKEA! jcb68 Just make a couple for your local fly shops and see how it works out. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks!

I will do that thanks for all your input. have a Happy Thanksgiving to all

I used to make wood bases for baskets. Can be a lot of work for little money when you consider all of the jigs I made to reduce setup time. I did manage to up grade my shop with what little I made.

Where in Alaska are you moving?

I was born and raised in Anchorage, we have been in Glendale AZ since 2015. My wife is finishing up Dental School.

Well, you'll have to stop by our store and say "Hi" if you get to Fairbanks. Our store is called "Edge of The Arctic Trading Post" We sell artworks and crafts made in Alaska.

Cutting down a huge cherry tree tomorrow. My work shop has cabinet grade tools I own so I may season some cherry and build a few myself but I wont ever use them. I can also harvest some walnut and both are close to my shop which is bigger than Orvis stores by 2 times. I also make my own trim and mix stains to meet the request. In short easy peasey for me but curing my wood takes time. Thinking instead or square doing a round bend for backstop and tool rack instead of mitred corners using my steam jig

My brother in law took down a tree and sent it to the saw mill to be processed down. After paying a hundred bucks to drive the tree to the mill, he gave the mill another 600 bucks to turn it into lumber. He then meticously stacked and stickered it in his garage where it air dried for years. He now has the most expensive firewood ever assembled taking up good garage space. He keeps trying to give it to me.

If your going to use air dried lumber I wouldn't do mitered corners either unless you like mitered corners that open up. I'll take the kiln dried, squared, surfaced and sanded 5/4 lumber all day long. This is an example of the cost of your time and labor far exceeds the cost of using kiln dried processed lumber. If I had the space I would slab that cherry and walnut out. There's nothing better then the color of air dried slabs.

Finally found a LED light that I liked to add to the bench.

Where did you get it and how much did it cost?