Fly Tying
flytire

hmh trv review

Happy Friday all- I finally ordered myself a TRV! I spoke with Jon Larrabee at HMH and he said currently all TRV's are made to order only. Which would explain why they're not sitting on the shelf next to the Spartan at my local fly shop. Now it goes against my nature to order expensive things without trying them in person first and next month HMH will be at the Marlborough MA trade show, half an hour drive from me -BUT I know from experience the longer the cash sets around the more likely some life event will come up and consume it. I prefer hearing my friends say "Wow nice new vise to wow nice new washing machine". Jon also confirmed the current vise addresses the issues from the original production run to which Mvalbano referred above. He said right now they are working weekends to meet demand and my vise should ship in 5 day's 'ish.

I prefer hearing my friends say "Wow nice new vise to wow nice new washing machine".

laugh.png Because admiration from your friends is SO much more important than clean clothes and hygiene. wink.png

Happy Friday all- I finally ordered myself a TRV! I spoke with Jon Larrabee at HMH and he said currently all TRV's are made to order only. Which would explain why they're not sitting on the shelf next to the Spartan at my local fly shop. Now it goes against my nature to order expensive things without trying them in person first and next month HMH will be at the Marlborough MA trade show, half an hour drive from me -BUT I know from experience the longer the cash sets around the more likely some life event will come up and consume it. I prefer hearing my friends say "Wow nice new vise to wow nice new washing machine". Jon also confirmed the current vise addresses the issues from the original production run to which Mvalbano referred above. He said right now they are working weekends to meet demand and my vise should ship in 5 day's 'ish.

I can't remember saying, or hearing anybody say "wow, nice new washing machine" Vises on the other hand, that's different.

Well DFoster Merry Christmas and good luck with that baby. Would love to read a review from you after a short time.

I prefer hearing my friends say "Wow nice new vise to wow nice new washing machine".

laugh.png Because admiration from your friends is SO much more important than clean clothes and hygiene. wink.png

That was my wife's argument as well- You wouldn't believe how close I came to ending up with a new microwave or some other non fishing related "Necessity"!

Well DFoster Merry Christmas and good luck with that baby. Would love to read a review from you after a short time.

Merry Christmas to you as well! I will be happy to give you my thoughts after I've tied on the TRV for a bit but in full disclosure I only have limited experience with vises other than my Renzetti Traveler. I'm a dedicated trout and stream guy. 95% of my flies are the classic patterns in the 12-18 range. For a couple of weeks in the autumn I tie a few American style salmon flies, 2 -10's, when the local land locked Atlantics run. So my review will be somewhat limited to the type of tying I do. Someone who also ties saltwater, realistics or small stuff would be able to give a more complete review.

aha!

since the big honkin shiny brass base wont make me a better tyer, i opted for the big honkin not so shiny blackish base. cheaper too