Fly Tying
flytire

hmh trv review

ok. i'll hijack back to the original subject. smile.png

anybody else want to provide a review of the trv vice?

No, I can't add anything new to the review but I am making finger knobs for the TRV, would you like one?

I'd like one.

Mark, since you are totally rebuilding your TRV Im assuming you werent satisfied with the standard one? To save another post my vise holds very small hooks very well. The Renzetti Master needs the midge jaws for smaller sizes. I broke a set when I put a larger size hook in mine a while ago. Renzetti did replace them FOC

Barry

Hi Barry, No, it's not that I wasn't satisfies with it, I'm asking it to do some things it wasn't designed for. I wanted it to spin like the Norvise. I was just so enamored by the way the Norvise spins dubbing.

Why not just buy a Norvise? I don't like the way all that stuff is directly behind the hook, I need room back there for my big hands and tails of flies to lie straight. Especially for very small flies.

I think I will have a Norvise/HMH hybrid. I'm sure I would have had to do the same thing with a LAW or your new vise to get the same properties.

So far, the jaws my HMH came with work fine for every hook I put in it except the 11/0. That's to be expected, I'm quite sure it wasn't designed for that.

Gene L. PM me.

4 left if any one else wants a finger bar for your HMH. I'm sure they will work fine on any vise with a 10-32 threaded hole.

No charge, this site is great and the people here are nice, I'm trying to be nice too.

Gene L. PM me.

4 left if any one else wants a finger bar for your HMH. I'm sure they will work fine on any vise with a 10-32 threaded hole.

No charge, this site is great and the people here are nice, I'm trying to be nice too.

Wow Mark that's really nice work. With your skill sets how long will it be before we see a "Knapp Vise" on the market? Please post (video if possible) of your bearing housing when complete, I would love to see it. Will the factory knob and bushings work for controlling the rotational tension?

I would love one of your finger bars, PM sent.

Thank you!

Dean and Gene, sending out your bars today. (three left) Flytire Please PM me your address, I'm saving you one.

You will probably never see a Knapp vise, It is way too competitive for me and a very niche market.

Yes I will show you my new bearing housing. I finished it last night and boy does it spin. I have a few refinements to make and I need to pretty it up some. I have to figure out how to post a video.

It is very good work but I have to question why. Maybe it's just me but do you really want the hand wheel and finger bar in the way? I can't seem to think of any good reason why I would need those things. Seems it was more functional before The additions. Again, just me, but all that added stuff to get in the way of my left hand doesn't seem Worth the value of a handwheel and finger bar.

Please don't take this post the wrong way but I like having little to nothing on that side of the vise.

I like the palm wheel, it works good with just that. I tried a finger bar and for my style of tying I found I didn't use it much, I'd rather have the palm wheel than the finger bar and you are right, the finger bar makes palming the wheel difficult to impossible.

I wouldn't put both the finger bar and the hand wheel at the same time, that would be pointless.

Now the hand wheel is a different story. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I wanted to be able to spin dubbing like they do on the Norvise, and now I can. And I use the hand wheel like the palm wheel when I need to, no difference there.

The finger bar did get in my way at times but some tiers are used to using a bar, like the one on the HMH Master.

To each his own. I'm really liking spinning the dubbing, it's so fast and I used to get frustrated at times spinning a noodle the conventional way.

Dean and Gene, sending out your bars today. (three left) Flytire Please PM me your address, I'm saving you one.

You will probably never see a Knapp vise, It is way too competitive for me and a very niche market.

Yes I will show you my new bearing housing. I finished it last night and boy does it spin. I have a few refinements to make and I need to pretty it up some. I have to figure out how to post a video.

Thanks, Matt. I'll give it a try. I haven't tied enough on the TRV to know what I like, but OTOH, it's not permanent.

I get what your doing with your vise Mark. I bought brand new Harley's for years and not one of my bikes ever stayed stock for long. Most people viewed a stock Harley as a starter kit. Modifying your vise to spin like a Norvise but with the advantages of the Waldron jaws sounds like a winner to me. Besides from what I can tell nothing your doing is permanently altering the vise so you can return it to it's original state if you choose.