Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DarrellP

traveling tying kit

Wow Tom, I believe you can tie whatever you fancy with that bag. I do like the simple split ring to store your hooks. I'm a fan of keeping hooks in their original packaging so I shall incorporate that into mine. Thanks for sharing.

I as well like the original packgeing. Used to keep material in a plastic bag but that was so unorganized it became a hassle to tie from it. Now it is a joy and so much easier to find what Im looking for.

Names good but way too bulky and wasted space. I do believe mine packs 2 times the materials and all tools less space and more convienient to take anywhere including remote long stay camping and fishing. Hard boxes are bulky and waste space. IMHO.

You sure got a lot packed into your kit, Tom. For a pack or float trip it'd be almost ideal. I think of travel being on wheels though, so the hard sides can be beat around more and resist crushing. Plus and minus to all the systems, I guess.

I hope that guy takes it in the shorts. Being an auction aficionado, I recognize that guy as the guy at Lefty's auction running the bids up and overpaying for everything thinking he was going to get rich. I hope he gets stuck with everything he bought.

After much thought I have finally settled on a traveling kit. I flip flopped between a computer bag to a hard brief case and finally ended back with the soft sided computer case. My new vise/lamp base is a huge space saver and allows me to easily get by with a much smaller bag. My needs were simple, a few materials and tools to carry to a group tying meeting once a month. I dug out the smallest case I could find in my basement. It's 16" by 12" by 3".

Here it is packed minus the actual vise which is in its own pouch that will be on the side the lamp is on. My materials are carried in an exterior pouch and in the various pockets inside the case. Right now I just pack it with the materials to tie one or two different patterns but it will hold a surprising amount of material if I were so inclined to load it up, which I'm not and never will be. Pack light freeze at night.

post-48414-0-55301600-1550884959_thumb.jpg

post-48414-0-85800500-1550884984_thumb.jpg

I did very similar. We used to spend about every weekend in the summers on a sailboat and I took my Regal Medallion Pedestal and I used zip-lock bags to put all the fixings for each of a couple specific patterns in a soft laptop case. The tools are in a Plano waterproof 3700. Threads, leads, wire, tinsel and floss (anything spooled) in another.

I got several hundred 1" x 3" zip-lock baggies from a tackle supplier and I carry a dozen hooks of whatever I am tying in a larger "Hooks" baggie (a piece of business-card stock with the make, model and size labels each bag). I replenish those smaller bags as needed from my hook locker - which is a .50 cal Ammo Can. I have five of those in a closet that I keep my "safety stock" of materials in and replenish as used. They seal up very nice.

No longer have the sailboat, but it works just as well for "setting up" to tie at home. Though I keep a Peak Base Camp pedestal for home use. (MUCH less portable than the Regal). I don't have a dedicated tying desk . . . though that is in the plans now that I am thinking about retiring and having more tying/fishing time.

It will more then serve its function. I'm very happy with it. Charlie P. My traveling kit vice is a regal medallion. It does pack easily.

I am trying a large hard sided pistol case. I also have a Regal vise. I bought a roll up kit to put my tools in.

I take stuff with me and tie when visiting my kids, or when I travel on business. It is mostly something to do while they are watching tv,etc. I was not thinking about taking it to a fishing destination.

years ago when i first started fly tying, my traveling box was a plastic sewing box similar to that shown below

XYHTbsJ.jpg

a tray for thread spools and smaller tying tools and under the tray had plenty of room for a vise and tying materials