Fly Tying
fishingbobnelson

Caddis for Christmas VI

Marked that link Norm. I will have a couple of full hides to use as I see fit here in a week or so if I want them. Tried making use of a hide a couple of weeks but botched it. Need to get borax since salt didn't really do the trick. My problem with deer hair in the sparkle pupa is the flair it takes from the couple of patches I have. My dwindling patch of Elk flares slightly but not like the deer, which is better suited to deer hair ties. Thanks for the link.

I tried tying some of the caddis pupas with the remaining stock I have but had to put in an order for Antron and some other goodies to get this done right. Should be here any day now and I can get to vice. Hopefully soon because next Tuesday I get to have a first failed surgical procedure done again. When he says he has to be more aggressive about creating scar tissue in there it means I'll have time I can't sit at bench or be doped up too much to tie. If worse comes to worst I can always do some basic elk hair caddis.

By the way. I've tried tying caddis with deer hair from various patches but it just flairs too much. What and where would you order deer hair patch to work for caddis. I recently had a whole hide I cut up patches on but botched the curing and threw out. I can get another full pelt soon and where would be good hair to take from.

I have Elk Hair for my Elk Hair Caddises that I bought from Blue Ribbon Flies that I have been really happy with. If I remember it wasn't cheap but it's really nice to tie with. Its best to call them and discuss what you are looking for.

I tried tying some of the caddis pupas with the remaining stock I have but had to put in an order for Antron and some other goodies to get this done right. Should be here any day now and I can get to vice. Hopefully soon because next Tuesday I get to have a first failed surgical procedure done again. When he says he has to be more aggressive about creating scar tissue in there it means I'll have time I can't sit at bench or be doped up too much to tie. If worse comes to worst I can always do some basic elk hair caddis.

By the way. I've tried tying caddis with deer hair from various patches but it just flairs too much. What and where would you order deer hair patch to work for caddis. I recently had a whole hide I cut up patches on but botched the curing and threw out. I can get another full pelt soon and where would be good hair to take from.

I have Elk Hair for my Elk Hair Caddises that I bought from Blue Ribbon Flies that I have been really happy with. If I remember it wasn't cheap but it's really nice to tie with. Its best to call them and discuss what you are looking for.

J. Stockard has these. I think they are great. https://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-premo-deer-hair-strips

I mailed my flies a week ago but they may not meet the deadline. Canada Post workers are on strike and mail is apparently backing up in warehouses. The last I heard: USPS and other foreign mail services have been asked to halt shipments to Canada to prevent further backlogs. I apologize in advance if my flies remain buried until after Dec 8.

I am tying a grouse and flash on a #14 Mustad 3906 hook.

underbody: tying thread in this case 8/0 olive Uni-thread

body: pearlescent mylar tinsel

thorax: hare's ear dubbing

hackle: grouse body feather